Fast strawberry. Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Predominantly a beer brewer. Just started making wine last year. Swmbo wants a strawberry wine. I have 5lbs in the freezer ready to rock n roll. The problem is that time is not on my side. The last week of July I will be moving to Germany(time for the wife to return home). Is there any way I can whip this up say this week and have it be drinkeable by the end of june? Dont really want to move bottles of wine(not even sure of the legality of it) for fear of breakage and cost. so hoping if I can have it bottled by June we can polish of 1g by the end of july:b

Other than it being "young wine" and having that flavor profile, any other concerns I should have?

Clearing - not sure strawberry will be clear in that time period or taste to its full potential.

You might be able to make it drinkable, if after fermentation you stabilize, sweeten, add clarifying agents, filter, and bottle quickly.

Although 5#'s is not a lot of berries for this. You should use about 6#'s per gallon..

Can you wait and start after your move??

Did not want to bring frozen strawberries with me from NY to Germany, However I planned on buying new equipment and getting going again within a year of getting there. Was curious about it clearing, strawberries are high in pectin right. My 3 versions of redcurrant, and my loganberry had cleared stupid fast so I had not thought about that.

Yeah - i add pectic enzymes in to help clear that out. But it takes time... Which is something you don't have.

5#'s it not going to get you a gallon of wine - IMO - i would just start over when you move - get the amount of berries you need - go from there...

You are only doing one gallon. Mite as well give it a try. Small batches like that seem to get done a bit faster than the bigger ones. It will be pretty young, but you will probably be able to drink it. Just remember if it had more time it would probably only get better, so don't necessarily judge a strawberry wine by how that one comes out. Arne.

i'm thinking also if you want it possibly done a little sooner, and more drinkable, maybe also make it as a lower alcohol wine, maybe say 8-10% alcohol, with a starting gravity somewhere around, say 1.065 to 1.080....this way it may not quite have as much of that young alcoholic "bite", but unfortunately won't have that more well rounded, smoother, blended flavor of fruit and alcohol that develops with some aging, kind of like when you have a spaghetti sauce that sits overnight....it might taste good on day 1, but once those flavors all meld together, then it tastes better....i don't necessarily know what you tastes are when it comes to dry vs. sweet, but when trying to make a wine more drinkable that early, i feel that a little backsweetening would help you greatly....also, when it comes to clearing, and being on such a tight time schedule, i would suggest using super-kleer as your clearing agent of choice....if mixed in the proper order, you should see that baby clear in just a few days....also, another thing you might be able to purchase to make the wine drinkable sooner, but i wouldn't advise using it unless on the timetable you are on, is picking up a package of an item called "super smoother"...it's a 2 part package, much like super-kleer, but of liquid oak essesnce and glycerin...i would use it sparingly though as if i'm not mistaken, the whole package is meant for a 5-6 gallon batch, whereas you are only making 1 gallon....i hope this info helps yoy out a bit, but as has been previously mentioned, there is no substitute for time....these suggestions should at least though help make this extremely young wine, somewhat pleasurable....good luck...

I decided not to make the wine. to much other stuff going on between tending hops plants and preping house for sale and move(and sons grad party). so the strawberries are gonna get mixed with some other alcohol and made into a slushi smoothie drink thing for swmbo.

Scrub my last post. I made a red currant/strawberry wine. It was not as clear as i would have liked, and was a lil hot(as i did not scrimp on the abv). made 3g and it was adored by all my friends during the going away festivities. could have been one of my best if only time had been my friend. Ty much to all for the help and advice on this one.

Latest posts

Back