Fast Fermentation Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guapo

Reaction score
Does a fast fermentation ruin the wine, and if so, what does one do to slow it down?

A fast fermentation doesn't hurt most wines at all. Some conditions just lead to a faster ferments than others. You may lose just a bit of aromatics from some fruity wines, but it certainly doesn't ruin it. Placement of your fermenter will affect the speed it goes at. To slow it down, move it to a cooler part of the house. If your floor is heated, move it off the floor, etc. Keep the wine/must in the desired fermentation range listed for the kit or if a country wine, keep it between 68 and 75 if possible.

Thanks Appleman! I made a Jelly Palm wine http://forum.finevinewines.com//forum_posts.asp?TID=9257 and it started with little or no fermentation in three days, so I added more nutrient and energizer with a different yeast. It began a rapid fermentation and was done in a couple days. I didn't know if I had fried it or what.Also there was a putrid smell emanating from the ferment when I racked it (which is pretty much gone now), but upon sampling the wine last night, it tasted somewhat bitter. I don't know if this is the product of the fruit or something gone wrong. Maybe it's just young. (2 months +/-)

Latest posts

Back