extracting elderberries, a method that works

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winefarmer1

Junior
Reaction score
Elderberries are a pain to gather and take the berries off the plant. My wine supplier gave me an idea which I have briefly tested and found very successful in small volume (because the berries are just beginning to ripen in Georgia.)
Freeze the berries and then beat them against the side of a 5 gallon bucket. The berries fall off fairly easily and there is NO mess. I tried the method today with 4 clusters and found it much superior to the fork method. The only thing I noticed that may be a slight problem is that the berries thaw rapidly so you can only do a few clusters at a time. If you could keep the berries in a freezer doing small bunches at a time it would work.
Anyone else tried this technique?

It is even easier if you freeze the clusters in a garbage bag. You can do quite a few at a time. When frozen well, beat the bag on the cement floor to shake the berries off. I cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and pur out the dislodged berries. It will remove most of them and keeps them fairly clean.

Another member beats them against the five gallon bucket without freezing them. When the bucket is about a third full he fills it up with a garden hose and swishes the berries around. The non ripe berries float to the top and flows over the side when you keep the water running.

I just wait till you all have the berries picked and plucked clean and then beat you up for them!!
smiley36.gif

Check out our webpage for elderberries, we have taken hints from every forum and lots of different folks who love to grow elders, we even got video! Crackedcork

Thanks for the good idea, my fingers are just now looking normal after last years batch of elderberry.

You can also beat them onto the sides of the bucket right after you pick them without freezing them first. Another way is to put a baking cooling rack on top of t he bucket and scrape the berries across the grate. Best if you can then wash them in a bucket to float out the green ones and the bugs. CC

Latest posts

Back