Extra large cork?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
I would like to bottle into one of my oversized bottles. It is one of the 3 liter bottles. My mother and I want to use the wine for a party where it will be entirely consumed. The inside diameter opening is 7/8 inches. It looks like the standard wine bottle opening is 3/4 (6/8) inches. What size cork would I need? Would my floor corker be able to handle that? If not, how would I get the cork in there?

Alternatively if I can't find a corking solution, I may just bottle normally then pour the wine into that big bottle before the party with a funnel and push in a #9 cork. I can push the #9 in by hand and it is fairly snug. It wouldn't be as cool as aging it in the bottle, but whatever works!

Advice?

You didn't say what kind of corker you have. This was just discussed a bit ago, and one deciding factor of choosing between the Italian corker and Portuguese was the fact the Italian could handle the larger corks and bottles that most of us do not use.

Back