Mosti Mondiale EXTRA BAG?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Junior
Reaction score
smiley5.gif
PLEASE HELP, I AM STARING A MOSTI 12 LITER PORT KIT AND I FOUND SOMETHING DIFFERENT IN THE BOX. AN EXTRA SMALLER BAG, SILVER THAT LOOKS TO BE JUICE. IS THIS AN F-PACK? THE DIRECTIONS IN THIS KIT DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT AN F-PACK.
PLEASE HELP!!!!

MIKE W

I haven't made this one before myself, but it probably is a bag that is added later in the process to boost the alcohol in the wine. Is there a chaptalize stage listed in the instructions? If so that is what this bag is for.

APPLEMAN,

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT CHAPTALIZE IS , BUT IT DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS. THE INSTRUCTIONS READ JUST LIKE ANY OTHER MOSTI KITS. NOTHING DIFFERENT.

This is the Port Flavor pack and will be added after stabilizing with both k-meta and sorbate. Mosti doesnt have the instructions for this kit on their site and its been a few years since I made mine so hopefully someone else can chime in with a fresh set but when I made it it did mention when to add the Porto pack.

Chaptalize is simply the term for adding sugar to raise the alcohol level. Maybe somebody that has made this port can answer for you.

Generally with a port, you make it as a wine, but when the fermentation slows down, you can add sugar to feed the yeast more- raising the alcohol level. Wait to add the bag until we here from someone what the contents would be. If it contains sorbate, that could slow the fermentation down or stop it. Somebody will answer shortly.

Edit: PS see, Wade already answered before I even hit the Post button!

I WAS JUST READING THE INGREDIENT LIST ON THE BOX AND IT SAYS THIS KIT HAS PORT ESSENCE (COULD THIS BE WHAT IS IN THE BAG? IF SO THE INSTRUCTIONS DO NOT SAY WHEN TO ADD.

Add it after stabilizing with both potassium meta and potassium sorbate. Then you will add fining agent.

THANKS FOR EVERYBODYS HELP. THIS IS ABOUT A 3 LB BAG. ARE FLAVORING BAGS USUALLY THAT BIG???

I made the port last year and as I recall you add the port flavor pack 30 or so days after stabilization once the wine has cleared and is racked. You will have about a liter of wine left (displaced from the flavor pack) that can be bottled and used later as topping wine or to drink.

Yes most sweet wines like the Mist kits and Ice wines will have big bags .

I just went down stairs and found the instructions.

Step #4

Day 46, make sure the wine is clear and rack again. Remove 2 liters of wine from your carboy. Take pouch marked Porto Monidiale Flavor, add to carboy and stir vigorously. Top up and let wine rest for 7 days. Note: excess wine that will not fit into carboy can be enjoyed as is.

Good job Tank and I was weary about saying what I did because MM kits vary so much from other kits. Almost all other kits have you add this bag before clearing and also have you filter it before bottling.

THANKS TANKCA
MY INSTRUCTIONS SAID NOTHING ABOUT THIS POUCH.
I'LL REMEMBER YOUR INSTRUCTIONS THOUGH.
THANKS AGAIN

No problem, glad I could help.

I started mine on 2/25/08 and bottled in July. I added a few extra oz. of oak cubes and 1000ml of E&J VSOP brandy before bulk aging. Bottled all of it in Bellisimo 375ml bottles for that classic Port look.

Came out very good, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Good luck.

Should the flavor pack be added before bulk aging or after? From all the discussion it appears to me to bulk age first. Add clarifying agents,wait 7 days and rack. Add flavor pack and wait another 7 days. Then bottle. Any redirection?

Follow instructions on the kit and then right where it says to bottle is where you bulk age instead.

Wade, therein lies the problem. The instructions nevermention the flavor kit. In step 3 it instructsyou to add the K met but says that if bulk aging, wait to add clarifiers until 8-10 days before bottling. Since the instructions don't mention the flavor kit I am unsure when to add it. I was assuming not to add it until after the clarifiers.

According to what Tank posted you should be dding the flavor pack on day 46 to a clear wine and that you should rack off any lees and remove 2 liters of wine to fit this in. At this point you will be bulk aging with the flavor pack in there.

Wade is correct. Add the flavor pack on day 46 and you can either bottle after 7 days or continue to bulk age. I highly recommend bulk aging for at least a couple more months because it will continue to drop sediment and better to have it in the bottom of a carboy than a bottle.

If desired you can add additional oak cubes during bulk as this port handles oak well.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back