Cellar Craft Extending Clearing Stage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacci

Reaction score
Does anyone extend the clearing stage on these red CC kits? Since 2ndstage oak cubes are added at the stabilize/clearing/degassing stage, would the (secondary) lees harm the wine if left for2 months before racking off to bulk age? I know the directions call to rack after 21 days on oak cubes, but that doesn't seem long enough to absorb the oak.

If its sitting on the fining agent I wouldnt go much past this amount of time.

this ismy first CC kit - Rosso LRand originally planned to rack at day 42-44 and just add another round of oak cubes, if neededfor bulk aging. I thought that usingoakcubes (Hungrianheavy toast)withkitfor 21 days would be too short.

I had a Trinity Red which was over oaked to my taste after only 10 days on 2 1/2 oz of American Heavy Toast cubes. Hungarian might be milder but I haven't tried the heavy toast yet. So I would suggest tasting the wine weekly during the clearing stage. If you aren't happy with the oak level after the 21 days, rack, clean the cubes you used and reuse them. If you get to the oak level you want prior to 21 days, rack early.

Latest posts

Back