experience with pH meter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the type setup Peter describes here. I go fairly quickly adding NaOH until the meter gets above 7.0 and then slow down. The reaction can happen so fast that going from 7.8 to 8.2 can happen with just one more drop. The graduated burette tells me how many mls have been added. And yes, the burette is graduated in tenths of a ml.

I know I have tested with the visual test several times and verified with the meter. I typically go well past the correct point because I can't distinguish the color chage well. I trust the meter a lot more than my eyes especially if I have recently calibrated the meter.

More than most guys need but here is what I use(except my ph meter is a benchtop model).
http://valleyvintner.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TE-15-3970&Category_Code=TE

TitrateLabLG.jpg
Edited by: appleman

PeterZ said:
I disagree with JW in that I think most commercial wineries are using pH meters to determine TA. They are using calibrated burettes that read to 0.1 ml of titrating solution (NaOH) and probably, as they approach pH 8.2, add the solution one drop at a time. That's how I did it in a lab setting. In the field I used phenolphthalein, because I didn't have all of the stands and holders that are standard in a lab.

Your probably correct there Peter, I should of been clear that most people in my industry (dairy) dont use the pH meter. In wine im sure its needed due to the color of the wine,I know I need to use it on my wine even though I run these test daily at work.

Nice set up Appleman, im sure we would all get giddy playing around in your wine making area!

Latest posts

Back