WineXpert Exlipse Lodi Cab & OVZ

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
Just ordered my first Eclipse kits. Lodi Ranch 11 Cab and Lodi Old Vine Zin. I don't think they have been out long enough to be drinking yet, but I would like some opinions from anyone who has experience with these.

Also ordered the LE Oregon Pinot Noir.

I've read good things about Eclipse. Hope I'll agree.

We're probably 3 & 4 months into both of these kits, Zin and Cab respectively. No regrets.

I started my Lodi Cab last March and bottled mid October. It was very good at bottling, better than most. I only tweaked with 1.5 tsp grand cru tannin and a french oak spiral the last three months. Will taste next spring.

I made the Zin, unfortunately it is going to become cooking wine, not happy with it at all.

I made the Zin and bottled it about 4 months ago. I have tried two bottles of it. It was very good and the second was better then the first. I expect it to continue getting better. I have the Cab sitting in my basement waiting to start after some of the others complete. My wife thinks 15 carboys full at one time are more than anyone should have. I keep saying we have empties yearning to be filled again.

Pumpkinman said:
I made the Zin, unfortunately it is going to become cooking wine, not happy with it at all.

Can you elaborate on why you didn't like the results? Is it uncharacteristically bad or do you feel it is just not meeting expectations? I just started the eclipse Lodi Cab and am considering this one next.

Dillybar,
It really doesn't have to do with my expectations, I am very open minded when it comes to Food, wine and beer, I realize that i will not like everything that I taste, but this has a very weird sweet, almost sour taste to the point that I first thought it was spoiled. I've smelled and tasted this on a few other kit wines, and that is what it might be, even as I used it for cooking, I thought that the dish that I used it in might be ruined until it cooked in and lost that weird taste and smell.
I've heard others say that they love it, God bless them, I'll keep a case for another 6 months to a year before I use it all for cooking, and I'll taste it, it might just need aging...a lot of aging.
To put it into perspective, I wouldn't give this wine as a gift, I wouldn't want my friends to think that this is the kind of wine that I make.

That is very helpful, thanks for giving your insights. I have a couple of those wines that don't get gifted. My wife doesn't get it she thinks I'm hoarding them.

I am working on my second kits of Eclipse Lodi Ranch cab, Eclipse OVZin as well as the Eclipse Stags leap District Merlot. The reason is that I can't keep any of them in storage.
Pumpkin Man, initially my OVZin had an off taste, but it went away. I had a similar experience with my SI Argentine Malbec with grapeskins, and it had diminished but not disappeared in 8 months of cellaring, so I am just leaving it to the 1 year mark and hoping for the best. I hope you save a case of your OVZin for a longer term to see if it smartens up.

Oh Pumpkinman, you are scaring me. Lol. But I have already ordered, so by this time next year, I should have some input.

Funny how out of all the good comments, I dwell on the bad one. Partly I guess because I have read enough of your posts to value your opinion. Hopefully your last case will perk up.

For all those good reviews, thank you too. Hope to add another soon.

Thank you for your kind words, maybe it's just my personal taste. Plenty of winemakers have made it and love it!
Keep us updated!

I had made the WE Estate Series LOVZ a few years ago and it was quite disappointing for a long time but after about 3 1/2 years it finally turned into a very good wine, so patience can be rewarding.

I tasted my Eclipse Lodi Cab that has been bulk aging for 3 months. The wine has wonderful plum and blackberry flavors. Excellent balance with nice acidity and tannin structure. It also has a lasting finish. I will continue to bulk age for another 6-9 months. This was my first wine kit. I am pleased so far.

Broge, FWIW I had the same experience with the WE OVZ (pre-Eclipse) as did Pumpkinman. It is just not right with an off, nearly sweet taste like it did not ferment to dry and remained fruity. Fruity is OK with a Syrah but not expected with a Zin. Maybe it was over-blended (by WE) with a fruity red juice.

I have 6-8 bottles left from a batch begun 2-12. I keep thinking it will improve and so far it has not but it's been a while since I tried it.

I will say that for almost all my WE reds that I tend to drink them too quickly and they get better after several years (if they last that long). Some are fine in 18 months and others are still improving by then.

NS

I bottled my eclipse ovz in 2/2012. I am not very happy with it. Has an off taste, and a bit too "hot" for my liking. I am letting it rest and plan to try it at the 18 month mark.

Personally, I am sticking to making only whites, as all of the whites that I have made have been fantastic. I am not impressed with any of the red kits that I have tasted. They all taste similarly bad. That includes other people's red kits.

Okay now guys, I was hoping for some encouragement on how good my OVZ was going to be. Now I'm getting a little bit worried. Oh well I guess it is what it is.

I'll just plan on letting this one sit for a good long time and cross my fingers

Does anybody have any ideas for tweaks that might make this one a little better?

I have no experience with the Eclipse Zin, but my CC Showcase Lodi Zin is 22 months old and still coming around. It is still improving, but taking it's sweet time.

I bottled my eclipse ovz in 2/2012. I am not very happy with it. Has an off taste, and a bit too "hot" for my liking. I am letting it rest and plan to try it at the 18 month mark.

Personally, I am sticking to making only whites, as all of the whites that I have made have been fantastic. I am not impressed with any of the red kits that I have tasted. They all taste similarly bad. That includes other people's red kits.
I think the Eclipse line was released Fall of 2012, so maybe you bottled in 2/13? Still, that's been sitting a while, you'd think it would be quite good by now.

Back