Essential test equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
What do you consider to be essential test equipment?
Please add to, or modify, the list below.

Nose, eyes, mouth, ears,
Hydrometer,
Thermometer,
PH tester,
SO2 tester,
Precision scale,
Chromatography paper,

Thank you,
Chris

Depends on what you will be making...

Kit wines, a hydrometer will get you completely through the process.

Buckets of juice (stabilized), might want to start into pH and SO2 testing

Fruit or grapes, all of the above plus a mix-stir and a ring stand for TA measuring.

I think a thermometer is necessary for some climates but I have never used one. I figure if I am comfortable, the yeast is comfortable!

I already have a decent hydrometer, a bunch of thermometers, a precision scale, and an Accuvin SO2 kit.

I've read a lot of threads regarding the "best" PH meter to get.
I don't mind spending money for something, when that something is the best choice to perform well. However, I also recognize that spending half as much can often get you 95% of what you need.

I'm far enough into wine and beer making to know it is something I will do for a long time, but I will likely never be a master winemaker, which I'm fine with. So, for someone who will probably end up as an advanced hobbyist, which PH meter do you recommend, and why?

If you're not going with the Vinmetrica unit, I think most here would tell you to either get the Hanna pHep 5 or the Milwaukee.

You didn't mention what kind of wine you're making (from grapes, fruit, juice, kits). If you're making from grapes or fresh fruit, a refractometer is a handy piece of equipment.

If you already have a SO2 kit, I might hold off on the vinmetrica and instead get a good PH meter. This should allow you to test TA as well if you do a bit of reading.

Latest posts

Back