Equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What would be must have equipment/tools for making wine?
I got my carboy, airlock, yeast, pectic enzyme, acid blend....anything else?
Just basic simple stuff, i'm not planning to go all out with the fancy equipment just the must have simple tools....and do any of you happen to have an extra HYDROMETER, please, thanks.

You need some nutrient also. And when you get that, order the hydrometer at the same time. The shipping will probably be more than the hydrometer, they aren't very expensive. While you are at it, order two of them. They are pretty fragile so when you get one, handle with care. Arne.

Need a pail for primary fermentation or for racking to/from the carboy.

racking cane & tubing.

Potassium metabisulfite (k-meta), and 1/4 tsp measuring spoon.

While you can use K-meta for sanitizing, I recommend star-san (cheaper).

k-sorbate if you intend to back sweeten.

Something to stir & degass.

Some type of carboy cleaner (pbw).

Bottles, corks, corker (double lever is the least expensive that works).

The MOST important piece of equipment you can get is a hydrometer. This will tell you how much alcohol you will end up with and also when it is time to do your first racking (transfer from primary into your carboy.

I would also say that an acid test kit is very important as well. The biggest mistake made by most winemakers is not maintaining the right acid levels.

These two are cheap. A hydrometer and a acid test kit should come under $20.

invest in a ph meter. it will help do the acid test. why spend all the time and other items cost if wine comes out poor. the cost of a ph meter will overcome your waste of time, it will more than overcome your poor wine efforts.

what everyone has said, I like the auto siphon over a racking cane and tubing, for the few dollars more well worth it. K-meta vs star san for cost, about the same if you buy k meta by the pound. I prefer the K- meta for the fact of not having a lot of extra stuff around getting cluttered up. It's kinda universal chemical. your choice though.
Get the 7.9 gallon bucket if you intend to do kits, its ok to use it half full for fresh fruit than fill a 5 or 6.5 to the top and have it go over on you.
BTW, welcome to the forum!

I'm just getting into the new hobby my self. My first order was the following. 3 one gallon c arboys
Hydrometer ( use case as test tube)
Yeast
Nutrients ( go ferm and ferm k)
Bentonite ( fining agent)
Air locks
Bungs
Campden tabs.
Now with me ive made some ok wine with just that under 60 bucks if I could I'd order different yeast for different wines. Starsan. And maybe a few more things but I like simple also though I like to have a finished wine I can be proud of and share. But now that ive made wine with go ferm and ferm k wow its a lot more fun to watch and it really helps get the job done.

I'm just getting into the new hobby my self. My first order was the following. 3 one gallon c arboys
Hydrometer ( use case as test tube)
Yeast
Nutrients ( go ferm and ferm k)
Bentonite ( fining agent)
Air locks
Bungs
Campden tabs.
Now with me ive made some ok wine with just that under 60 bucks if I could I'd order different yeast for different wines. Starsan. And maybe a few more things but I like simple also though I like to have a finished wine I can be proud of and share. But now that ive made wine with go ferm and ferm k wow its a lot more fun to watch and it really helps get the job done.

Instead of the campden tabs - go with pot metabisulfite instead

always check daily at craigslist for winemakers special - atleat twice aday !

! gallon containers - buy yoursself some cheap but very drinkable wine from a 1 gallon glass container - save on shipping and you reap the benefits !!

fining agents - all depending on the type of wine you are trying to clear

a baster for drawing wine out of the carboy

Atleast ph strips - eventually a meter

bungs and air locks

I like the carboy cleaner - if not a brush is needed in order to clean the carboy

Latest posts

Back