Enzymes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosa321

Reaction score
Hello!

I have had a thought for a while and I can't find much through internet searches or on this site (I have also been busy in the garden and with wine making so I haven't spent hours and hours looking, BUT...)

I want to know what happens to my wine when I add enzymes. I add pectic enzyme, amylase, lactic enzymes, etc.....sure I'm "breaking down" the pectin, the starch, lactose... But what's really happening to the wine?
Is there an adverse effect? Will enzymes change the color, the taste , the texture, or any other characteristics about the wine?
Will hazes clear on their own if you don't use enzymes?

Just my thought of the moment ;) If I somehow missed an answer on the site, I apologize.....please point me in the right direction, if you could. My thoughts are a little jumbled and I might not have known what the type in the search bar.

THANK YOU!!!!

To be perfectly honest, I make all my wine from fresh wine grapes and have never used any enzymes. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

I know about the use of pectic enzymes to (I assume) aid in breaking down fruit, but am not too sure on what the purpose of other enzymes might be. Another assumption I make is that enzymes speed up the natural processes in winemaking. If this is true, then it would confirm that I have no need for them since I bulk age my wines for 2 years.

I would love to know more about this....

If you go to the Scott Labs or Lallemande websites, I'm sure you'll find lots of info. There are quite a number of enzymes and basically they can reduce herbaceous characteristics, increase the rate of chemical reactions, promote spice or fruit characteristics, and reduce mineral characteristics. Their addition to the must helps extract aromas, reduce maceration time and helps increase juice yield. They need to be added as early as possible on crushed grapes. But there are some of these enzymes that should not be used prior to fermentation because thery are inhibited by sugar, so you need to read about their requirerments before use.

Also, be aware that things like bentonite will inactivate enzymes so don't use them together. It's all about timing--add your bentonite after the enzymes have done their work. Same thing with sulfites--sulfite will denature enzymes so use one or the other first and after it's dispersed, add the other.

Interesting..... So yes it would seem adding them CAN alter flavor as can when and how you add them :)

Thanks, John! The more I have made, the more I don't mind waiting! lol I'm not a fast consumer so 30 bottles lasts me quite a while.

Turock, can't wait to check out those sites and do some experimenting!!! :)

Pectic enzymes break down the cell structure membrane of the fruit. This allows the juice from the fruit flow more freely, allowing for a easier and or quicker fermentation.

Pectic enzyme will not work in an active fermentation. This being said an active fermentation does not occur immediately upon the addition of yeast. The enzyme will continue to work until the yeast become dominant in the must.

It is recommended you add pectic enzyme to your must and allow it to work for 12 to 24 hours. You should not add pectic enzyme until after 12 to 24 hours from the addition of potassium metabisulfite.

Peptic enzyme will work post fermentation but it is recommended you add it pre fermentation.

It can also aid in the breakdown of some starches specifically those wines which are allowed to sit on the skins an extended amount of time.

From my experience I have not noticed any change in taste or color of the wine from adding pectic enzyme. I myself will add 3 to 4 drops of liquid enzyme per gallon of must prior to fermentation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back