end post bracing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reisjdmd

Reaction score
this is the setup: i have 6 inch diameter end posts set 48" under ground.
these posts are 20 feet apart and support 2 vines between posts.
i use the high cordon training system with 12 gauge wire. each vine has an additional 2x2 wooden stake that supports some of the weight.
do i need bracing for the end posts ie will two vines create enough force todrag the end posts towards the center in this system.advice please.

How long are the rows total? A few posts would probably stand pretty well alone, but if you are much longer, they will probably sag some. That's a pretty hefty setup!

the rows are a total of 40 feet long. the two end posts, plus one similar center post. i have attached the wires separately to the center post to equalize the force between the ends and the center. think of a suspension bridge with only one post in the center and the two cables attached onto this post to balance the two sides.
it is a hefty setup but now is the time to brace if necessary. i did not think bracing was necessary, but a visitor made me parnoid and said i need end bracing.
in summary: end post, 5-6 inch diameter[4 feet deep]; 20 feet later an center post exactly like the end post; 20 feet later the other end post; total row is 40 feet long; 5 vines per row. am i being neurotic?

Latest posts

Back