End of an era

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
Maybe they’ll run it better. There’s a foundry here that’s Japanese owned and it’s run very well, people that work there like the Japanese mgt.

I'm mostly concerned about the national security implications of having no locally controlled industry in this very basic area. Guess we'll see what happens.

I'm mostly concerned about the national security implications of having no locally controlled industry in this very basic area. Guess we'll see what happens.
Completely agree! And I am also worried about our buying most of our computer chips and pharmaceuticals overseas, in many cases from countries who have sworn to defeat us. This is all in the name of corporate profits. I worked for Kodak for most of my career and saw first hand how "short term management decisions," and by this I mean, "which decision will maximize my personal wealth," destroyed that vaunted company.

Many people believe that Kodak's demise was due to not accepting and transitioning to digital photography soon enough. It was not a bad management decision, it was a conscious, short-term decision to stay with the unbelievably profitable film technology, thus perpetuating management bonuses. The first portable digital camera was developed by a Kodak scientist in 1975, setting off an internal competition between the digital and film technologies. "Film guys" ran the company and were able to keep the digital side in the background even as companies like Sony and Fuji were making great strides in digital technology. In 1993 and for the first time in its history, Kodak went out side the company to hire a new CEO, George Fisher, of Motorola. He immediately saw the problem and divided the company into digital product lines and film product lines. However, it was too late and competitors had taken a major share of the photographic market and never relinquished it.

@Rocky, I was an IT contractor at Kodak Office from May '91 to April '93 and witnessed what you said. Kodak reps didn't sell film, they took orders. Once Fuji, Agfa, and 3M made comparable products, it was the end of Kodak film.

in '92 Kodak developed a portable printer about 1" wider than a sheet of paper which ran off the SCSI port of a Macintosh (no separate power supply). It was slow, but the highly portable and produced really good quality output. Management killed it ... along with other top quality digital products. Sad, very sad.

Completely agree! And I am also worried about our buying most of our computer chips and pharmaceuticals overseas, in many cases from countries who have sworn to defeat us. This is all in the name of corporate profits. I worked for Kodak for most of my career and saw first hand how "short term management decisions," and by this I mean, "which decision will maximize my personal wealth," destroyed that vaunted company.

Many people believe that Kodak's demise was due to not accepting and transitioning to digital photography soon enough. It was not a bad management decision, it was a conscious, short-term decision to stay with the unbelievably profitable film technology, thus perpetuating management bonuses. The first portable digital camera was developed by a Kodak scientist in 1975, setting off an internal competition between the digital and film technologies. "Film guys" ran the company and were able to keep the digital side in the background even as companies like Sony and Fuji were making great strides in digital technology. In 1993 and for the first time in its history, Kodak went out side the company to hire a new CEO, George Fisher, of Motorola. He immediately saw the problem and divided the company into digital product lines and film product lines. However, it was too late and competitors had taken a major share of the photographic market and never relinquished it.
Without question

Latest posts

Back