Elderflower tea bag broke :/

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick00

Junior
Reaction score
As the title states I went alittle crazy with the final stir in the primary of my gewürztraminer :/ the elderflowers started pouring out of the bag and flooded some of the surface. I resumed kit instructions added yeast and it's now sitting with the top on. I didn't think I'd be an issue at this point until I rack into secondary, any advice would be appreciated, sorry for flooding the board with threads the past couple days

Don't worry let it sit until its time to rack

Wrap a small piece of nylon stocking around the mouth of your racking cane and that will
work as a filter. Which should leave the elderflowers out when racking.

Luc

Never made a kit with elderflowers, but I assume it isn't a huge deal. It may be tough to rack and leave that behind. You might need to strain through a cheese cloth or something at first racking to keep them out.

When you rack to secondary, use a strainer or sloted spoon and take out the floaties. When racking keep the racking cane off the bottom a few inches untill you get down to the last gallon or so and run that through some cheese cloth. Just like working with real grapes or fruit.

As the title states I went alittle crazy with the final stir in the primary of my gewürztraminer :/ the elderflowers started pouring out of the bag and flooded some of the surface. I resumed kit instructions added yeast and it's now sitting with the top on. I didn't think I'd be an issue at this point until I rack into secondary, any advice would be appreciated, sorry for flooding the board with threads the past couple days
Maverick:

You've made 9 posts total. Not exactly a flood.

I made a few kits with elderflowers when I ran a Ferment on Premise. I would just toss them in, and not worry about a bag. Yeah I had some minor problems racking the wine to carboy but it wasn't a big deal. Note I used an auto-siphon so if the tip got plugged, just shook off the flowers, and easy to restart the siphon.

Sometimes there would still be a few flowers floating when stabilizing/clearing, but that would be the end of them. As Doug (Brew&Wine) suggested you can use something to scoop 'em out. I would use a sanitized strainer.

For myself, I would leave the elderflowers out, as I did not like the effect they provided.

BTW, which gewurztraminer are you making?

Steve

Glad to hear its not a big deal thanks for the tips guys! It's the grand cru international collection, the smell just stirring it up was amazing, very excited!

Latest posts

Back