Elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
We picked 5 trash bags full of elderberries over the weekend. We have been processing them and now have about 30 lbs in the freezer ready to make wine. I still have 3 bags to process in the fridge. Wow a lot of work! I had no idea how much 5 bags would be.

I'm planing to use this recipe. Any other hints or suggestions?
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2829&highlight=elderberry

I read crackedcorks and it has lots of good info.

That recipe will work fine. I put a little more elderberries in mine, though. A little sugar at the end and maybe a touch of citric acid will really make it shine! I prefer the recipes without white grape juice for the elderberries.
We just picked on Sunday and got a total of 39#. It is a LOT of work. Make a "seconds" wine too... or a skeeter pee. With all that work, you want to get your money's worth!! We love Elder Pee!!

Debbie

I'm planning a SKEETER PEE! I have had a brake in the wine making and I'm very excited to start the elderberry. Do you do 3,4, or 5 # per gallon?

Nate

You might also want to check out the recipe that Julie posted and her's also has a recipe for a blush and you can still make a pee after that

Elderberry Wine

This recipe makes five gallons of elderberry wine and another five gallons of elderberry blush. In the beginning, when pressing the berries, do a thorough job because they don’t break open as easy as you might think.

Ingredients:

15 Pounds Fresh Elderberries
2 Gallons Water
6 11.5 Oz. Cans Welch’s Frozen White Grape Juice
7-8 Pounds Sugar, approximately (enough to bring S. G. to 1.090-1.095)
2-3 Tbls. Acid Blend approximately (enough to bring acid level to 0.65)
2 Tbls. Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
5 Campden Tablets, Crushed
1 Packet Lalvin RC 212 Yeast

Instructions:

Place the frozen elderberries in a nylon bag, tie the top of the bag and place in a nonreactive container that will hold at least four gallons. When the elderberries are thawed, press thoroughly, and cover with two gallons of boiling water. After the mixture cools, add pectic enzyme, cover and let it sit for 12 hours. Remove the nylon bag and allow it to drip until it stops. DO NOT SQUEEZE or you will get a green substance that will have a bitter taste to it. When this is complete, transfer the contents of the container to a primary and return the nylon bag to the container and cover. This will make the 5 gallons of blush, so when finished with the wine recipe, you will cover the nylon bag with two more gallons of boiling water and repeat the entire process. Thaw the six cans of white grape juice, add it to the primary, and bring the water level up to the five gallon mark. Take a reading with your hydrometer and add enough sugar to bring the specific gravity to approximately 1.090-1.095. Stir until all sugar is well dissolved. If you have a TA kit, check the titratable acidity and correct it to 0.65. Add the yeast nutrient, and the crushed campden tablets. Wait 24 hours and add the yeast. Cover the primary with a cloth and check the S.G. daily. When the must reaches 1.010 in approximately one week, rack to a secondary and put under an air lock. Rack again in two weeks and then every two months until clear.

Stabilize, add 5 campden tablets, wait ten days and bottle. I like to add ½ to 1 cup of light corn syrup mixed with 1-2 cups of hot water at bottling to give it a smooth taste.

Repeat the process to make another five gallons of elderberry blush.[/QUOTE]

This the recipe that Julie posted on our forum

Last edited:
drinking the juice.

Hi all,

The kids got a stomach bug so i decided to use some of the berries for juice. I did 6 cups of water and then filled the berries until they were to the top of the water. 5 cloves and 1/2 tsp of ground ginger and 2 cups sugar. It made right at 6 cups of juice.

How much should adults drink and is it ok for kids? I have searched the web and found information if you make it concentrated they should only have a tsp every 6 hours. I was hoping to hear from someone that makes juice from elderberries and how much do you drink.

Thank you,

nate

Last edited:
I usually make just plain syrup then add some with honey to hot water. I try to drink it 3 x daily and use maybe a tablespoon of the syrup. It's part water and sugar, so there isn't as much actual elderberry once you add the other stuff. The honey has great antibacerial properties.

Debbie

about 1 tsp 3 times daily. Do you use close to the same recipe as i used? is it ok for kids?

My children are all grown, but I've never read anything that said it wasn't ok for them. Raw berries can give some people a stomach ache, but cooked they are ok.

I would try the 1 tsp 3 x daily.

Good Luck!

Debbie

Started my elderberry wine today.
17lb 2oz frozen elderberries
2 lbs raisins
10 sugar
4 gal of water
Ta .56
Yeast nut
Pectin
Kmet

I started the sugar and the wife went to the store to get welches white grape juice. Two stores and could not find the welches white grape so since I had the raisins I substituted raisins. I hope this works. Smells great.

Lesson:

Always have frozen grape juice on hand. You could have used white grape "ready to drink" too, I suppose.

Debbie

Hi Crackedcork and Debbie,

I was trying to add some body. I thought concord would change the taste too much. You have used it with good success? I have been using raisins to add body for a while. I will be looking for welches white grape on sale and stock up. I'm very excited about my elderberry wine. I have enough to do 5 maybe 10 more gallons. I added 2 tbs of ground oak and 3 tbs of french oak chips to the primary. Tomorrow i will check the SG and hopefully pitch the yeast.

Thank you for the advice.

nate

gird, no problem using concord for a red wine. If you want body you can add extra light dried malt extract, bannanas or add some blackberries or even more elderberries. crackedcork

You're going to love the oak in there! I have only added oak during aging, so I have no experience with the primary.
If you have not made skeeter pee yet... look up the recipe here or at www.skeeterpee.com and try it out. Elderberry is great with lemon! It's one of my favorites!
I've been going with approx 6# per gallon and nothing but water as my favorite style. You'll have to try some different recipes and combos and pick what is best for YOUR pallette. It takes a few batches and tweaks to get the best! Raspberry added is super! We are finally getting a good crop on the late raspberries, so I will have some to blend with my elderberry! I'm going to make PORT from some of it.

Debbie

Hi Crackedcork and Debbie,

I was trying to add some body. I thought concord would change the taste too much. You have used it with good success? I have been using raisins to add body for a while. I will be looking for welches white grape on sale and stock up. I'm very excited about my elderberry wine. I have enough to do 5 maybe 10 more gallons. I added 2 tbs of ground oak and 3 tbs of french oak chips to the primary. Tomorrow i will check the SG and hopefully pitch the yeast.

Thank you for the advice.

nate

Nate,

CrackedCorked will give you the best advice around when it comes to elderberries and he has me talked into making a straight juice since I have a good stock of full body and blush.

Not to question your comment about adding body, but if you are looking for mouthfeel when you go to backsweeten add a bottle of corn syrup and then add whatever sugar to get to the sg you are looking for. You would not believe how that improves mouthfeel.

I've seen people talk about corn syrup before... does it dissolve completely like sugar? Or does it need to settle out like honey would?

Debbie

It will disolve like sugar, in my fruit wines, I add a bottle of corn syrup and then add sugar as need to bring my sg to the point that I want.

Give it a try, it does not change the taste of the wine but does give it a great mouthfeel.

Latest posts

Back