ELDERBERRY QUESTION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Iknow that Elderberries are often sold in pairs of different variety names....I assume for pollination....

Years ago I planted a pair of Adams and York....the Adams' roots got eaten by a gopher and the plant died...TheYork plant is large now and blooms nicely.

Last year I planted another set of those two varities....I noticed yesterday that the Adams plant has been eaten to the ground by a rabbit....hummm...must be a tasty plant.
smiley7.gif

I have placed an order for this spring delivery of the same two varieties....so it's going to be awhile before I get any cross pollination going around these parts.

I took some cuttings off of the big Johns plant and hope to get more of those growing....

So...should I be on the hunt for more Adams plants to 'mate-up' with the Johns plants????
smiley25.gif

Also
smiley25.gif
I have seen people using Elderberry flowers in wine...being as I am not going to have pollination of the flowers on the big plant this summer should I harvest those flowers and put in some wine???
smiley25.gif
...or just enjoy the beautiful blossoms????
smiley25.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

NW:

I can't answer your pollination question, I'll let cracked-cork chime in on that one. If he does, maybe he can also tell me if the Wildwood is self fertile. I'm pretty sure that is what Marge told me.

However the elderflowers I would cut and dry for future use in wine, or as a tea at night. It has a wonderful aroma and flavor. The flavor is hard to describe, due to it being so spicy. I could only imagine if it were mixed with a dash of vanilla or Cinnamon, it would make a wonderful hot cup of tea.Edited by: jobe05

Latest posts

Back