RJ Spagnols Ehrenfelser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
The birthday day boy started his first kit yesterday amid a bit of a zoo. He had a few friends over and between dinner, a beer tasting, his fist mead tasting and the Olympics, pictures were forgotten.
The juice in this smelled fantastic and its now happily bubbling away. Here is a pic from this morning.

20100218_090236_DSCN5694_-_Copy.JPG

Of all the releases this year, this is one that has caught my interest also, do let us know how it progresses!

This one got racked, stabilized, degassed, etc. today. We thought it was never going to finish, the SG finally stabilized at
993 instead of the 998 we had expected. Actually I'm glad it did not hit the target because it taught him to pay attention to the hydrometer and the directions, timing wise are just an estimate. The wine has a nice flavor, not sweet even though it has a small flavor pack, it is off dry with lots of tropical notes. Should be a really nice summer wine in a year or so.

20100304_142620_DSCN5719_Deskto.JPG

ibglowin said:
A year or so!
smiley36.gif

Keep in mind we are running on my son's time. But next summer this should be really nice. Now if I can just get him to create a label! He saw the ones that came with the kit and said no thanks I would rather make one myself. I am still waiting on him to make one for his graduation mead, 3 years and counting .............

What was your SG? I started mine today and I got 1.1, which surprised me, I thought it would be lower.

If I ferment to .993, that going to be a strong wine!

Starting SG was 1108 and it fermented to 993. He'll be racking this tomorrow sometime. It's all clear and looks terrific. Can't wait to sneak a taste.

Wow! What does that work out to % alcohol?

I drove up to Dallas yesterday and bought WAY too much stuff from George, but at least I saved a lot on shipping. Having fun kinda drooling over all the kits I've got stacked up in my bedroom.

I think next I'll do the Grenache Rose En Premeur.

14% range
I thought we didn't mix it well, so we mixed it again and got the same reading. It will need some time to mellow. He plans to bulk age for 6-9 months and then bottle and start tasting after 3-6 months. I think he'll be drinking it next summer.

mine also started at 1.102, finished at 0.992

I thought that was kind of high, glad to see it was not just me....

should be a great wine.....

Comet in TX said:
Yeah, but very high alcohol for the style, I would've expected around 10-11%.

It is right on the mark from what I expected. This will end up being an off dry wine that will need a bit of aging, very typical of what I have come to expect from these limited release white wines. I would have to search for the paperwork but my W/E Pacific Quartet, CC 1st Yakima Synergy, as well as RJS's Old Vine Riesling were all closer to the 13-14% range.
The only one that really surprised me was the PQ and that was only because it was drinkable straight out of the carboy and has simply gotten even better with age.

So I completely forgot to take pictures - again - until after it was racked, covered & put away. I was surprised by the color is a dark rich yellow and the aroma was pleasantly fruity. A bit of tropical fruit in the taste test. He is going with the plan to age this was a bit in the carboy and then bottle so it can be enjoyed next summer.

I started this kit yesterday, had a very small cap on it this morning and no cap this evening, just some bubbling going on. Is this what everyone else has experienced? not a very vigorous fermentation? thanks, Ron.

Thanks for the info. It does smell good. Different from any other white wine I,ve made. Looking forward to bottling time so I can sneak a taste. Also the instructions say to leave in the primary until it is completely fermented. Did you rack to secondary in the middle or not? Thanks, again.

I'm making mine per the directions, so mine is still in the primary and will go into carboy on Thursday. It actively bubbled for about 7 days, and then went still. It's been really hard b/c it tied up my one and only fermentor! I have 10 more kits lined up!

Time to make a couple of Mosti's that will be into the secondary in 3-4 days!

Lara

Back