RJ Spagnols Ehrenfelser update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patc

Reaction score
Well opened a bottle of this with some spicythai food, chilled it real well and OMG!!!! And it's only 6 months in the bottle If anybody has this you will not be disapointed
smiley32.gif

I bought one and it was so good almost immediately that I bought another one and it is ready to bottle anytime. It would be nice to have it available all the time.

this begs the question, why isn't this wine kit available every year? they grow the grapes every year so if it is popular why don't wine kit makers buy them and produce kits for sale? Is there anyone out there with knowledge of the wine kit business that can explain this?

I would expect the main reason is the lack of demand for that particular varietal. I like all kinds of wine and almost always try new kinds/varietals when I see them, but I have never heard of or seen Ehrenfelser except on this forum (same for Gruner Veltliner). It's apparently one of those unique, limited availability varietals, so most folks don't know about it, let alone to create enough demand for a year-round-available wine kit of Ehrenfelser.

I had never heard of Nero d'Avola until George recommended it to me because the Chianti I was looking for was out of stock. I had never heard of Dornfelder until I tried it at an Oktoberfest wine booth.

The overwhelming majority of the wine-buying and wine-kit-buying public make the wine they are familiar with, so the Cabs and Merlots and Chardonnays are the reliable, steady sellers.

seagrape said:
Well opened a bottle of this with some spicythai food, chilled it real well and OMG!!!! And it's only 6 months in the bottle If anybody has this you will not be disapointed
smiley32.gif

We'll be bottling ours later today. Now I'm really looking forward to tasting this one.

My daughter's ehrenfelser is still in the carboy. We started it in June of last year. WE plan on bottling it in either Feb or Mar.

Ehrenfelser is not a varietal kit it is a blend of Riesling and Silvanner grapes. I think thats what the description states.

BOB

Here is the "cheat sheet" on the wine that I copied from the web site.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
</><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
</><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]>
<>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<![endif]-->

If you’re not familiar with this wine you are probably not
from British Columbia – this is a Riesling/Sylvaner cross and we have a few
*great* ones here - sometimes it’s made into ice wine, other times it is a
table wine. Ours is an off-dry, fruity, easy drinking, crowd pleasing version –
all who are fans of Gewürztraminer, Riesling and Muller-Thurgau will want to
try this wine. Available December/January.

This refreshing white is cross between Riesling and
Silvaner, this wine is aromatic and very fruity, with peach and tropical notes
abounding, and with just a hint of rose petal as well. The flavor is fresh and
inviting with mineral notes, hints of orange rind and a lingering off-dry
finish. Food Pairings: Goes great with spicy Indian, Thai or Chinese dishes, or
a nice afternoon on a sunny patio!

I have this one but I'm just getting ready to start it. Sounds good. I had never heard of this varietal beforebut I look foward to trying it (I had never heard of Sylvaner either).

Sometimes a varietal is offered as an LE to see how well it sells before deciding if to add it to the regular lineup and other times the kit makers get access to some grapes that are not normally available to them.There are limits to how many different kits a mfgr cansuccessfully produce and sell. It's harder with a lesser known varietal.

Latest posts

Back