Ed wort's apefwein

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeny

Reaction score
I was wondering could I use 1gallon of unprocessed apple juice with 4 other gallon I regular apple juice with the recipe??? I have a gallon of organic unprocessed apple juice in my refrig and was thinking I could use in the recipe want the gallon jug for carbon. Would it alter or ruin the recipe??? Would the unfiltered apple juice just make it longer to clear??

I don't see why you couldn't use the unfiltered apple juice in it, but you would need to ensure that you added k-meta of Campden tablets to the must before fermentation. Most non-frozen apple juice containers in the stores have been pasteurized and would not have a threat from wild yeast at the start, where the unprocessed apple juice more than likely has wild yeast in it. It may affect the clearing some, hard to say how much.

Thank you 1 tablet per gallon right? Then wait 24 hours before adding the yeast? I am making a 5 gallon recipe.

Thank you 1 tablet per gallon right? Then wait 24 hours before adding the yeast? I am making a 5 gallon recipe.

Yes, that's right. I go on and add pectic enzyme after the first 12 hours just to make sure on the clearing.

Mines 7 Weeks old now and its clear and tasting pretty darn good¡ I'm sure you will be happy with the results

I have a 5 gallon batch on it's third month. I'm considering adding something to the aging process. What has produced good results? I'm thinking of dropping in a cinnamon stick, or perhaps some sort of oak cubes.....any thoughts?

cinnamon is good, I always add it to my apple. Also a bit of vanilla extract, helps smooth it out a little. Don't know about oakin it, tho. Others will say do it, but I am really not a oak fan. Good luck with it, Arne. (Mite try it on a small amount first to see how you like it, then can do the rest if it is what you want.)

cinnamon is good, I always add it to my apple. Also a bit of vanilla extract, helps smooth it out a little. Don't know about oakin it, tho. Others will say do it, but I am really not a oak fan. Good luck with it, Arne. (Mite try it on a small amount first to see how you like it, then can do the rest if it is what you want.)

Being so new at this, can you describe your process? how much cinnamon or vanilla do you add to say a 5 or 6 gallon batch?

How long do you typically let this stuff age btw? I know its always a matter of preference, but is there a rule of thumb for apfelwein, the good old year stretch perhaps?

I have just used ground cinnamon. Think it was 3 teaspoons per gal. Next time I am going to try it with 2. After bottling it seems to get stronger the older it gets. The vanilla, I think I used 3 teaspoons per gal. also. Use a good vanilla extract, not imitation vanilla. It gets better as it ages, but most of the time it doesn't last too much past a year. Going to have to try and find more juice this year. Stuff has almost as bad a poof factor as skeeter pee. Poof and its gone. LOL, Arne.

Latest posts

Back