WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a good call there, racked 5 carboys this weekend that have been in the room at 55-60 F for only a few months. Every one had a layer of diamonds crusted over a light layer of sediment. It made racking super easy, but am glad it's not going to be in my bottles. Many of my bottled wines, bulked for over a year at room temps, have developed diamonds since the bottles have been in there.

What do you think about the concern over lost tartaric acid expressed by Craig?

It would take an awful lot of wine diamonds dropping out to get flabby like me. It has taken years to perfect this flabbiness.

LOL, you crack me up! Anyway, I don't worry about the pH fallout, if it's going to happen at 55F, I'd rather it in my carboy, and haven't noted any significant change, hopefully because there's just not that much excess tartaric.

I think black pine refers to the grape cluster looking like a black pine cone.

I'm terrible... I know. I tasted the SLD Merlot while I was down racking the Amarone. Tasted the Fourtitude, too. But, with just two weeks on the oak cubes, the Merlot is an oaky monster.

It's time like these that I wish I had money falling out of my butt. I wish I could make these two kits at a time.

I'm terrible... I know. I tasted the SLD Merlot while I was down racking the Amarone. Tasted the Fourtitude, too. But, with just two weeks on the oak cubes, the Merlot is an oaky monster.

It's time like these that I wish I had money falling out of my butt. I wish I could make these two kits at a time.

So how was the Fourtitude?

Thanks, mine is in its second month in the Vadai. I've got great hopes for it.

...But, with just two weeks on the oak cubes, the Merlot is an oaky monster...

Rack it off the cubes (save them for grilling). You know the oak will die back in the bottle. And you know you like the oak (monster). It will just make you wait 12 months after bottling to try one of those 375's you'll bottle up.

Rack it off the cubes (save them for grilling). You know the oak will die back in the bottle. And you know you like the oak (monster). It will just make you wait 12 months after bottling to try one of those 375's you'll bottle up.

Noooooo.... I'm okay waiting the 12 months. I want this as close to the last one I did. I think this will be better.

@Boatboy24 gave me that suggestion a while back. I don't know if they are any better than normal oak, but they sure smell good while I'm grilling.

I think they are WAY better. But maybe its just that smell. To me, its a 'richer' tasting smoke flavor.

I just racked mine off oak and put it away in glass for another 3 months. This is probably the heaviest oaked kit I've done to date (without adding extra oak). Smells divine!

I have a fair amount of used oak cubes stashed now...I see a smoked pulled pork night coming soon...

I'm bottling mine this weekend. 11 months since I pitched the yeast and really excited about this one. Made it by the book and agree that the oak levels are heavy. Will let it sit for a month after bottling then will showcase this wine to persuade more people to make their own wine!

I'm bottling mine this weekend. 11 months since I pitched the yeast and really excited about this one. Made it by the book and agree that the oak levels are heavy. Will let it sit for a month after bottling then will showcase this wine to persuade more people to make their own wine!

You picked the right one to showcase. I'm working on my second batch now.

Latest posts

Back