WineXpert Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious, what yeast strain did you use?

That's what all 3 of my wines have in common. EC 1118. One reason I'm wondering if this similar smell and taste comes from the yeast ... As that and my carboys are the only thing they seem to have in common.

That's what all 3 of my wines have in common. EC 1118. One reason I'm wondering if this similar smell and taste comes from the yeast ... As that and my carboys are the only thing they seem to have in common.

That, and no aging. When was the last time you tasted a 2015 commercial offering?

That, and no aging. When was the last time you tasted a 2015 commercial offering?

The thing that amazed me about my young Chardonnay was that it was more drinkable than any other batch I've tasted at that age. At this point I think I'm going to attribute that to using the D47 yeast. If this drink-ability keeps up I may have a winner by next fall (1 yr old). Was expecting to have to age it for 18 to 24 months before it was ready to drink.

The thing that amazed me about my young Chardonnay was that it was more drinkable than any other batch I've tasted at that age. At this point I think I'm going to attribute that to using the D47 yeast. If this drink-ability keeps up I may have a winner by next fall (1 yr old). Was expecting to have to age it for 18 to 24 months before it was ready to drink.

I've made two batches of this wine and both were pretty darn good as early drinkers. There was no objectionable taste or odor at any time with them. My wife and I prefer reds and only made this for our guests who like white, so they are getting plenty of aging time. But from day one, they tasted good.

I'm not a white wine lover, but my sister and sister in law have been pestering for a chardonnay. I have this one finishing AF in carboy as we speak, glad to hear it's reviewing so well.

EC1118 is the most neutral of the yeast strains, that's one of the reasons why we use it. If the only other common factor is your carboys I would look at them. How many batches have been through them, and how do you clean them? Wine will build up a film on the insides that is hard to see and doesn't wash away easily. To get rid of that film, which can definitely affect the wine, do the following:
In the empty carboys put 6 tablespoons of the pink chlorinated detergent. It has many trade names: Chloroclean, Diversol, etc. then fill the carboy with warm water and leave it sit for 24 to 48 hours. You will be amazed.

EC1118 is the most neutral of the yeast strains, that's one of the reasons why we use it. If the only other common factor is your carboys I would look at them. How many batches have been through them, and how do you clean them? Wine will build up a film on the insides that is hard to see and doesn't wash away easily. To get rid of that film, which can definitely affect the wine, do the following:
In the empty carboys put 6 tablespoons of the pink chlorinated detergent. It has many trade names: Chloroclean, Diversol, etc. then fill the carboy with warm water and leave it sit for 24 to 48 hours. You will be amazed.

Should we not try and keep chlorine out of the winery? I've always read that it can contribute to TCA.

Should we not try and keep chlorine out of the winery? I've always read that it can contribute to TCA.
If chlorine gets to your corks, you will most certainly get TCA. Glass is non-permeable, so with two (careful) rinses, it will not harbor any residual chlorine. I use the stuff all the time. two rinses with water, one rinse with K-meta, good to go. Just so you know, if you live in a city and use tap water, it has chlorine in it.

Bottled this about 4 months ago. I added 1.2lbs of sugar during fermentation to boost the alchohol 1%. Tried it last night and it was a little strong for a chardonnay, flavor I mean not alcohol. It's still very dry, it's not a sweet flavor, more like a little more bitter than expected. Could the boost have impacted the flavor or is it just too early to be opening this?

steve

Whatever this harshness is due to mine had it. I did boost the alcohol so I was thinking that did it, but now I'm not so sure. 6 months later (~10 months in bottle) it is much better. it's still not the mellow flavor I would expect from a chardonnay, but it's improved a lot. I did use the stock yeast that came with the kit. I think by summer it might be in good shape.

steve

I had such high hopes for this Kit. I am down to a single bottle left at the 24 month mark and I gave away 2 bottles as gifts over the holidays…… It still has the funky harsh (sharp) taste and it is just not a pleasing wine to drink really at all.

I will not be making this Kit again and will look elsewhere.

I had such high hopes for this Kit. I am down to a single bottle left at the 24 month mark and I gave away 2 bottles as gifts over the holidays…… It still has the funky harsh (sharp) taste and it is just not a pleasing wine to drink really at all.

Mike - if you haven't yet, try the WE Selection Luna Bianca. I tasted mine tonight out of the carboy and am very happy - lots of fruit. Pineapple especially. No harsh taste.

Took a bottle of this to a reunion meeting (actually a wine/beer/food get together) since I hadn't tried one in two months. Just shy of 6 months old. Everyone who tried it had rave reviews. One of them didn't like dry wines, yet she loved this one. Enough fruit coming through to mask the lack of residual sugars. Their reviews made me try it, though it was after a glass of Diablo Rojo, so I'm not so sure my taste buds caught everything, but it is a very pleasant naked Chardonnay, with much better mouth feel than my Chardonel batch, which tastes lighter in comparison.

Feel pretty good about giving a case of this one to my Mom for her birthday at the end of June.

From last summer, Quote Mike's post:
"Mine is now almost 14 months old. I did a yeast swap and then split into 3G carboys when fined and cleared. I added 1.5 oz of light toast Hungarian oak to one carboy, the other was left naked. The unoaked is very light, crisp with nice notes of pear, apple, peach and goes excellent with lighter fare. The unoaked was very drinkable when bottled at 4 months. The oaked carboy was very different, very harsh still at bottling and at first it was like darn this didn't work well, but all it took was more time in the bottle. At 9 months it had smoothed out nicely and by 12 months was a very very nice wine. The oak added another layer of complexity and while not heavy compared to a buttery Chard is definitely more in your face and able to stand up to heartier fare (like salmon etc.) They are both excellent wines and now we open one or the other strictly with what it is being paired with for dinner etc."
I wonder what happened Mike, and which one (oaked or not) became harsh? I like ours quite a bit, but it gives my wife a headache, so also, will not be making again. I just put a Luna Bianca in a carboy.

I have no idea what happened on this kit. It was better at 6 mo than at 18mo which has never happened before. I gave the last couple bottles away at Xmas just to get rid of them. IIRC I used BA11 and that yeast has produced stellar results every time I have used it in the past on a white wine. Looking for an alternative for the next go round. I made the CC Showcase Yakima Valley Chardonnay last time and it was amazing but now they don't make that anymore, instead all they have is a Lodi, Chardonnay. I may snag on the of RJS EP Aussie Chardonnay's next go round. I made it several years back and it turned out vey well.

I wonder what happened Mike, and which one (oaked or not) became harsh? I like ours quite a bit, but it gives my wife a headache, so also, will not be making again. I just put a Luna Bianca in a carboy.

So I made this and it is clearing now, which seems to be taking a while. But when I tasted it the other day it was EXTREMELY harsh and "boozy". I followed the directions exactly, subbing Wyeast (I normally tweak reds), wondering if anyone else has had the same experience on the taste of this wine at this point.

TIA

So I made this and it is clearing now, which seems to be taking a while. But when I tasted it the other day it was EXTREMELY harsh and "boozy". I followed the directions exactly, subbing Wyeast (I normally tweak reds), wondering if anyone else has had the same experience on the taste of this wine at this point.

TIA

I've made this wine twice, according to instructions, and it came out very good immediately. Mine never had a taste as you describe. Good luck.

Did a side by side sampling of this kit over the weekend with one my older brother just completed. Both substituted the same yeast and followed the directions other than sorbate. His is just over 3 months old and mine is just over 6 months old. Incredible difference. Though I can taste the fruit in mine, it is much more noticeable in the younger wine. His may have a bit of a "hard" finish (not unpleasant, just sharper), otherwise very comparable, other than the older wine gave you the perception of a much dryer wine (I believe our final SG's were the same if I correctly recall).

Hopefully will be able to taste test both side by side around Christmas time.

Latest posts

Back