WineXpert Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn! Just racked mine for bulk aging. I added about 15 grams of tartaric. Will see if that helps

Last edited:
Curious if anyone uses citric acid instead of tartaric acid to get that bite. If you have, what is the difference and do you know the conversion rate. Have a SB that needs some bite and have a bag of citric acid but no tartaric acid. Thanks!

Took a ph reading today, 3.34 with MW-102 meter. Wine is 5 months old, aging in glass carboy, followed kit instructions, no tweeks. Taste has fallen off, no floral or fruit, taste flat and almost bitter. Any ideas, should I add tartic acid and pull the ph down to 3.2 or so? Just tested a comerical NZ and it was around 3.15.

Do some small sample testing before you do anything to the whole batch. Measure the volume of wine, weigh your additions, test ph, take notes, when you get it to where you like it, it's just math. Go slow if you decide to do the whole carboy, make your additions in stages.

Pour some in a glass, add a smidgen of Tartaric, stir to dissolve fully, check pH. Try it around 3.2-3.25 and see what you think, see if it taste better. Flat is how I would describe my first batch that I made without adjusting the pH downward. I ended up adding a pinch of tartaric to each bottle as I opened it to liven it up.

Thanks guys, is there a time period for when you add the acid to when you bottle? Planning on adjusting the So2 and bottling in about a month, does the acid need any time before bottling?

Depending on how much you add to 6 gallons it tends to leave some dust on the bottom of the carboy which kicks up and is noticeable in a white wine especially. You have to either rack once again, filter or use extreme caution when bottling or it will end up in the bottle.

Started this kit today and SG was 1.07 which seemed a little low. I was not quite at 6gal mark in fermenter. With that SG, seems like it would be a bit of a thin wine...but with the good reviews maybe I am incorrect. Thanks.

Started this kit today and SG was 1.07 which seemed a little low. I was not quite at 6gal mark in fermenter. With that SG, seems like it would be a bit of a thin wine...but with the good reviews maybe I am incorrect. Thanks.

I've made this kit twice. It registered 1.092 and 1.090. Was your must particularly warm or cold when you measured?

I've made this kit twice. It registered 1.092 and 1.090. Was your must particularly warm or cold when you measured?

76f when checked three different times in a ten minute span. All the same readings. Pitched the yeast and will check with WE tomorrow to see what it should be. Never had a wine with this low a starting SG.

76f when checked three different times in a ten minute span. All the same readings. Pitched the yeast and will check with WE tomorrow to see what it should be. Never had a wine with this low a starting SG.

I'm wondering if this is a situation where it just needed more stirring.

Latest posts

Back