WineXpert Eclipse Napa Valley Stags Leap District Merlot w/ Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started the Eclipse Napa Valley Stags Leap District Merlot w/ Grape Skins kit last Friday (1-9-15) and my primary fermentation is going well and very active. The odor is good and already smells like a merlot! The instructions were easy enough to follow and I am looking forward secondary fermentation. This is my first wine making kit. My only other experience was a 5 gallon batch of skeeter pee, which came out great, but I am slightly prejudiced.:h

You have made an excellent choice. Remember to use the winemaker's most important tool, patience, and you will be rewarded. I am not a Merlot fan in general, but I love this wine!

This was one of the many wines we drank too soon. It gets so much better with age. Ours isn't even two years old yet (March 2013) and unfortunately we only have 7 bottles left.

This was one of the many wines we drank too soon. It gets so much better with age. Ours isn't even two years old yet (March 2013) and unfortunately we only have 7 bottles left.

Yeah, that happens.

Mine is waiting for it's turn in the barrel. Another 6 or 7 weeks.

I've been thinking about doing a high end red wine kit for awhile now but was having trouble deciding which one. All of these favorable comments on this Merlot kit convinced me to try it. I just placed my order. I'd love to hear from some of you who did this kit a year or two ago to know how it has developed over time.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Extram. Jumped right in with what should be a great kit.

GaDawg - I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying
1) Save the oak that comes with the kit and instead of adding it to the primary add it when you bulk age
2) Add the oak that comes with the kit in the primary and buy more to add during aging
3) Throw the oak that comes with the kit away and buy oak cubes to add during aging

GaDawg - I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying
1) Save the oak that comes with the kit and instead of adding it to the primary add it when you bulk age
2) Add the oak that comes with the kit in the primary and buy more to add during aging
3) Throw the oak that comes with the kit away and buy oak cubes to add during aging

Just to be clear: did the kit come with chips/dust and cubes? If so, you want the chips/dust in primary. Use the larger pieces while aging.

My kit came with dust and cubes. I added the dust to the primary as per instructions. Instead of adding the oak cubes during the stabilizing and clearing phase (3.5 in the instructions) add them during bulk aging. The stabilizing and clearing phase last about 8 days . The bulk aging last as long as you want. It takes me about 6 weeks to get all the good out of the oak cubes. 8 days would not get all the oak flavor I would like. With that said we all have different taste so you may want to do yours different.

My kit came with dust and cubes. I added the dust to the primary as per instructions. Instead of adding the oak cubes during the stabilizing and clearing phase (3.5 in the instructions) add them during bulk aging. The stabilizing and clearing phase last about 8 days . The bulk aging last as long as you want. It takes me about 6 weeks to get all the good out of the oak cubes. 8 days would not get all the oak flavor I would like. With that said we all have different taste so you may want to do yours different.
I put the cubes in at the stabilizing phase as per the instructions, but when I rack 8 days later, I re-sanitize the cubes and add them back to the carboy for the additional aging period. Same result as you, slightly different method.

Eclipse Merlot kit with skins

I bought one of these kits a year ago while on a road trip through Oregon. I let it age about 8 months before trying it and it was FANTASTIC! By far the best tasting and most complex wine I have made yet. I bought another kit last month and will try it again. The kit is a bit pricey, but it is worth it. This is a wine you WONT want to give away!

I started the Eclipse Napa Valley Stags Leap District Merlot w/ Grape Skins kit last Friday (1-9-15) and my primary fermentation is going well and very active. The odor is good and already smells like a merlot! The instructions were easy enough to follow and I am looking forward secondary fermentation. This is my first wine making kit. My only other experience was a 5 gallon batch of skeeter pee, which came out great, but I am slightly prejudiced.:h

I did my first racking into a 6 gal carboy which was almost filled. SG was down to 0.994 with a target of <1.010 . Next racking is scheduled January 25th for stabilizing & clearing. Any suggestions?

Just bought my second Stags Leap Merlot. Only have a half dozen bottles left from the first kit. My better half loves this wine. Best wine I've made. Bakervinyard

Just racked into secondary. What an incredible amount of lees...

Just racked into secondary. What an incredible amount of lees...

I am planning to start mine this weekend!

Scram, what yeast did you use? I am given to understand that the lees from different yeasts tend to be more or less compact than each other.

Actually, let me ask the group: What yeast would you pick for this wine? I was a bit surprised, upon checking my "normal" sources (namely, MoreWine and Lalvin/Scott) that there are few yeasts that are recommended in particular for Merlot. I have the following available: RC212, BM45, D254, and SYR. I have decided NOT to wait to order one of the few Merlot-specific yeasts (viz., BDX or D80), but to go with one of the four above. I am leaning towards D254, but would love to hear any thoughts from the group.

Thanks,

Back