WineXpert Eclipse Italian Piedmont vs LE 2012 ITALIAN NEBBIOLO

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshs

Reaction score
I was taking a look at both of these kits today. I realize it's tough to compare a LE kit with a new kit that just came out but I would love to hear what people think.

Do you think the LE kit is worth the extra $20? They both appear to be 18L kits with skins but maybe I am missing something?

Thoughts? I know that I am in for the long haul with these.

-Josh

Did a little more digging this morning. It looks like the LE kit might be a single vineyard (Ghiardello Vineyard) and the other just states Piedmont Barolo.

-Josh

Did a little more digging this morning. It looks like the LE kit might be a single vineyard (Ghiardello Vineyard) and the other just states Piedmont Barolo.

-Josh
I'd look up where that Vineyard is. While both are Nebbiolo, what differentiates Barolo is the very limited area and soil that is grown in.

Now I guess there could be some debate whether WE has really sourced the Barolo from this area or not. On the website, they describe it as Barolo style, which again, isn't really diffinitive. I could take that either way.

If you drink Barolo or Barbaresco which both have defined criteria vs. a wine that is labelled Nebbiolo you know the difference.

Without exact details, I'd lean towards the Eclipse Barolo. I just ordered the kit myself for these reasons. We'll see if it works out.

Well after I replied, figured I go check out the website. Descriptions pretty similar from WE. Not really sure there is any difference.

Looks like we'd need an expert who's opened both and made both, which at this point probably doesn't exist except for someone in WE's R and D dept.

I looked at these at my local vendor, apparently the Eclipse will drink earlier...some kind of fancy engineered grape pack whereas the LE2012 will need longer for drink-ability.

Here the Eclipse is 20$ more than the LE though

I would opt for the LE because it is, well, limited and may not be ever available again whereas the Eclipse kit will likely be there next year for you to try.
The LE's are usually excellent wines and this one is a rarity with a grapeskins pack, something WE normally doesn't offer with their LE's.
I believe both kits are actually 16 litres of juice with a 2 liter +/- grape pack.
I would expect the LE to be less expensive than the Eclipse, unless the Eclipse is on sale.

Nebbiolo grapes are used to be Barolo style wines, but there are fairly strict rules regarding what can be labeled as Barolo, including, as mentioned, soil conditions. My first guess would be that the LE kit is from an area that, even if the vineyard's wanted to, could not call their wines Barolo. More than likely, the Barolo style kit will continue to be available for sometime. The Nebbilo kit won't be available again for maybe years, if ever.

Also, the LE kits should be cheaper than the Eclipse line, I would think. The Eclipse line of kits are considered 'Ultra Premium' while the Selection, Selection International, and LE kits are considered just 'Premium'.

Now I guess there could be some debate whether WE has really sourced the Barolo from this area or not. On the website, they describe it as Barolo style, which again, isn't really diffinitive. I could take that either way.
I asked this in an email to the company and was told that the Italian government was being very strict (like France) that if the wine is not made in the DOCG it can't be called Barolo, Brunello and so on. So they are now using the term style.

Tony,

Based on your findings, I think I would lean towards the Eclipse kit as it does state Barolo in the name. I have no doubts that both kits are outstanding though.

Josh

Latest posts

Back