eBay and Pay Pal Spoofs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Hi all, I know many here use eBay and PayPal quite frequently. I just thought I would pass a note along to everyone to pay particular attention to you emails lately. I have been getting some ultra realistic "spoof" emails. One about PayPal was so realistic it stumped my for a minute. It said I had paid someone $368.00 for a watch. If I wanted to dispute the charge click "here" well, that is where the spoof was. If I clicked there it brought up a realistic looking PayPal log in screen, what it actually does is sends your user name and password to the sender.

I also am getting spoofs about eBay on a regular basis. I took a screen shot of the one I got today. If you have ever sold anything on eBay, this screen looks really realistic. It is asking me to respond to a buyers question to an item I had for sale. I got one of these last week and actually got suckered into clicking the link and logging in. As soon as I did it, I knew I had been "had" and immediately changed my eBay password. I wish I had too a screen shot of the PayPal one but I guess PayPal successfully got that scam site taken down as I reported it. When I open the email now, none of the banners would appear and I got a blank email.

So please please be careful. I suggest you log into eBay and or PayPal if you are members and read the how to spot a spoof tutorial. It could save you some headaches particularly with PayPal which has credit card or bank info.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

2006-01-23_165807_eBay_Spoof.JPG

I also got one where I ALMOST fell for it this morning:

It went something like this: "I'm interested in something you didn't sell on ebay"

I clicked on the link, and then realized it went to a fake email address. I didn't login though.

Make sure you send the email to ebay. They have an address listed on their help page to crack down on it.

A tip for all: No matter what you get from Ebay in your email accounts, go through your "favorites" to get to ebay. If there is anything that is important, they will post it for you under "My Messages" in "My Ebay"

Hope this helps.

Believe me, I wish I had known this about 10 months ago!
smiley19.gif

I get an e-mail,supposedly saying that I needed to update my account info.The e-mail also statedthat notdoing so would result in my buying/selling privaleges being suspended.STUPID ME, I clicked on the link.Looked EXACTLY like E-Bay.Innocently poured out my info.The site then took me right back to the E-bay homepage.

I find out a couple of weeks later that a little over two thousand dollars had been drained from my bank account, from an ATM in Russia.

Luckily we had a Visa checkcard, so we were reimbursed.We had to change bank accounts, Checkcards, passwords-all vital information.

It was a hard lesson learned!
smiley9.gif

What ever happened to working for a living and not stealing other people's money?
smiley7.gif

I have made it a daily routine to check my bank and credit card accounts online to watch for suspicious activity...it is better to catch it early!

I received several 'phishing' Emails supposedly from PayPal.They were kind of foolish ones....said someone was trying to access my account like 2900 times....really??? I ignored them and finally forwarded them to an Email address on the PayPal Homepage....think it is something [email protected] also blocked that sender on my Email program..haven't had anymore, but you never know.
If you aren't going to use your PayPal regularly, then delete the Credit Card Number from your account till the next time you use it.
You feel so violated when you get such Emails...
smiley18.gif

My wife and I do our banking, pay bills, ebay and paypal all online and so far (knock on wood), we have had no problem. My wife and I have talks weekly about never giving out info, or responding to any emails regarding any personall information. We also make it a habit to change our passwords every single month on these accounts! VERY IMPORTANT TO DO IT! It only takes a few minutes of our time each month but it safeguards weeks worth of income that could get stolen. And Im sure as Masta will agree, good fire walls help on any computer ornetwork.

The rule is, never reply to an email from a bank or ebay or paypal or
any credit card company. Don't open the email. When you get unsolicited
mail, it IS junk or worse.

Be responsible. Check your bank and paypal and ebay etc by visiting them
daily, or at least regualarly and checking their mail facility. My bank (BoA)
makes a point of not using email for solicitation purposes. Good on them.

Make sure you manage your junk mail filter regularly and assign any bad
guys to filter hell.

Edited by: peterCooper

If you do happen to click on the email spoofs, don't worry. There are a few tricks to catch youserlf as well.

Firstly, look at the email closely. There are a few clues for most people to use. The sender's email address is up at the top, and often times, just with this, you can catch it. Here, where the red arrow is, you can honestly say, "That ain't no ebay email!" Ebay always has something like what Smurfe posted. So, this would be the first step.

2006-01-25_063333_ebay1s.jpg

Second step: Look at who's sending it to you. Do you EVER spend time on Ebay UK? (Aside from PeterCooper and a few others), I doubt it. Look at the links in the email. Often times you can honestly say, "What is Ebay South-Africa wanting with me?"

Now if you DO happen to click on the link, which most have done, look at the following line in your browser:

2006-01-25_063817_ebay2s.jpg

This is usually the latest you will find out about it. Delete the email and go to the following website. [url]http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spo of.html[/url]

Just a quick look at this REAL ebay hyperlink. Do you see that no matter what the problem is, you've got ebay.com in there. Consider NOTHING else if it doesn't have "watever.watever.Ebay.com/whatever/watever (main thing, ebay.com)..... If it doesn't, you can disgregard the email.

My urging to everyone: If you do get an email, no matter what it is, throw it away. Type in your browswer: http://www.ebay.com, sign in from the ebay site, and look at your new messages. No matter who/what/where, legitimate emails will be listed here:

2006-01-25_064508_ebay3.jpg

Hope this helps a little. These spammers/hackers are getting so sophisticated, it's unbelievable.

Good Stuff Martina. Also, in regards to PayPal, any email will have your name in it, not Dear Pay Pal Customer. If you see that, discard it. Also, you can hover your pointer over the link and it will show the URL in a little ghost box. If it don't say www.paypal or www.ebay something, discard it, it is a spoof.

If you do get these spoofs I always recommend forwarding them to either [email protected] or [email protected] which ever one is being spoofed.

If you do click on one of these and enter your information and then realize it, Immediately go and change your password and you will be OK. That is what happened to me with the eBay one, as soon as I did it, I realized what happened and immediately went and changed my eBay password.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back