Dumb question when juice is fermenting...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
My juice has been fermenting in the original pails. Pails have the lid in place and secured but the cap is removed.
There's foam across the surface of the juice but as soon as I remove the lid (say to measure SG level) the foam quickly starts dissipating and eventually goes away within a minute.

Is it because there's more air contacting the juice? There should be plenty getting through the open cap. Just wondering......when lid is removed the "soda zzzling" is still going .....:)

See pictures....

IMG00291-20120927-0842.jpg

IMG00293-20120927-0845.jpg

IMG00295-20120927-0845.jpg

IMG00294-20120927-0845.jpg

Last edited:
Its a combination of the sudden release of CO2 across the surface, the introduction of oxygen and even a slight temperature change on top of the wine.

Certainly nothing to worry about, as the foam will build right back up again after the lid is replaced.

In your juice bucket you don't have a lot of space in which the foam can expand. I would be sure to set each bucket in a small tub, just in case it foams over.

thanks Brian, it's a blend with Merlot , Grenache and White Riesling with a ratio of 50%-25%-25% respectively.

Latest posts

Back