Dumb bottling question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbwines

Junior
Reaction score
My carboy has been in my basement for a couple of week now, do i need to bring it upstairs to bring temp up, or can i bottle it at the same temp i'm storing it at

My carboy has been in my basement for a couple of week now, do i need to bring it upstairs to bring temp up, or can i bottle it at the same temp i'm storing it at

In my opinion, it is better to bottle at room temperature. Seems if you bottle at a low temperature, then bring wine up to room temperature, you are a slight bit more likely to have a cork pop out. Of course if all else is done correctly, the chances of this are slim.

If you want to bring the temp up, go to walmart and get a big plastic tub and fill with water. Then go to a pet shop and get an aquarium heater that is adjustable. I also recommend an aquarium pump to circulate the water.

I did that to do the initial fermenting of wine in my cellar instead of my bedroom.

Mike, Robie's idea will work. You are in the same situation as me. I never worry about it. As long as your wine and bottles are at room temp and your storing your wine down there also, you're fine.

There is also the cold temperature theory. I was wondering after warming up my reds they were beautiful and clear. I would bottle and get another drop out. I was crashing at very cool temps. Just above the liquid freezing which in wine is about -6 C I would allow the wines to set at this temp for two weeks then bottle after racking off the lees. The wine when bottled looked brilliant there was great mouth feel and aroma but a couple months in the wine would cloud and drop out again. There would be a small amount of yeasty looking material on the down side of the bottle. I found that there is a specific type of energy created in cold environments that causes the molecules to vibrate quickly and with a red wine will drop out a second time. I now crash for two weeks then allow to warm to 56 deg for two weeks then rack and bottle no more drop out great mouth feel Great aroma and the color is what it should be.

My basement area that I have everthing in now stays at 60f-63f. Not sure what it will be in the heat of summer. I just know it's the coolest place I have

Hmmm
Never heard about 'cold filtering' wine before!! Did you get this idea from the beer mfg??
Yes actually it is where I came up with the idea. I have been experimenting with it for three or four years now. I do not filter my reds any more. Just my whites and I do them when cold. The reds dropping after cold crashing was a conundrum untill I read about cold energy it was from that I deduced that the reds needed to warm and have the time to drop again. I came up with the cooling system I now use from these experments and the reading on cold energy.

Actually, there is cold stabalization that is a standard for many wineries.

One question. You store at cold temps, then want to bottle at a warmer temp? once bottled, is the wine going back into the cold temps. If this is the case, I would not suggest that you warm up your wine, only to cool it back down.

If your wine is rather young, and still has some residual sugar, then warming it up only increases the risk of dormant yeast becomming active again. If it is now cold, and will be storred cold after it is bottled, then I say that you should keep it cold.

Back