duck and red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg7mm

Reaction score
haven't been around a lot the pass few weeks, ducks have my attention at this time of year. part of our culture here in south Louisiana is hunting in a big way. been eating a lot of duck lately . I discovered it goes well with a beautiful shiraz I completed a couple months ago, not aged yet but looks like not many bottles may make the aged staged . i'll not complain to much about that , the rewards have been some great suppers and on two Thursdays of the month we celebrate what we call thirsty Thursday. this past Thursday a friend who works offshore misses thanksgiving each year so we have thirsty thanksgiving. the big gadwalls stuffed with oyster dressing was a hit with a wonderful glass of shiraz. we deep friend a turkey, had sweet potatos in melted butter and sugar. oysters on the halfshell for appitizers. I gotta say, tough being a Cajun having to eat so good all the time.

this pass weekend we had coot season open, we had our crew of undesirables as usual participate in the pouldo palouza, lake beouf coot shoot 20012. 75 on the Saturday and 90 on sunday mourning. there were likely 500 hunters on Saturday mourning. at daylight the shooting starting and lasted all day. it sounded like a battle in Vietnam, sounding like constant machine gun fire. some friends even camped out in a blind Friday night. we hunt in drive in blinds with hugh platforms you stand in during the shoot. some blinds are as big as hunting camps. kids had a blast , the two kids I was responsible for on sunday mourning shot 10 boxes of shells. a lot of birds flew pass smiling but they ended up with their linit of thirty and also took three ducks, one female gadwall and two ruddy ducks. got home to clean birds and we cooked a big black kettle full of coot breast for them to celebrate their success. we do this every year for the kids and I have enjoiyed this over many seasons. woth all the effort seeing the smiles on their faces and watching them have a blast, (no pun intented)

spent the mourning alone myself in my duck blind this mourning, the solitude was good, took my limit after calling in a few birds. it's been good being a Cajun the past few weeks. I wouldn't have it any other way

we bring the kids out to duck hunt this next weekend coming, on their thanksgiving break and the boys are looking forward to spending more time in the duck blinds.

once duck season or rather hunting season in general ends, i'm a big fan of deer hunting also, we own property in Mississippi where we spend a lot of time with family also, i'll be participating in wine making and my forums as our usual. in the meantime, wishing all a great and safe holiday season

blessings to you all, stay safe and take care

Bud

Duck is one of my favorite foods. A glass of shiraz sounds great with it. I just took a 4 pointer this morning here in Connecticut. I've got the deer hunting bug bad. We also had a great year pheasant hunting. Good luck and stay safe.

I have only had duck a few times and I really like it. I had my first real taste of it in Italy when we vacationed there. If any of you saw the motion picture, "The English Patient" we had dinner in the "hospital" in which the wounded soldier was recovering. It is really a former monastery, Sant' Anna in Camprena, located in southern Tuscany near Pienza. We had dinner there twice during our stay and it was wonderful. The highlight was a roast duck over rice with a good Tuscan red wine. Yummo! Take a look at this site. http://www.camprena.it/ Those "trees" that you see lining the sidewalks are really rosemary bushes, about 10 feet tall. The aroma was heavenly. Gotta get back there before they put me in the "marble orchard."

Latest posts

Back