Dried Apricot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes, I have several going right now. 3-3 gallon, and 6-1 gallon. The oldest 1 gallon is a raspberry, 6/18. The oldest 3 gallon is a berry (Juicy Juice), 8/18. I have done a straight apple before, kind of a basic neutral flavor. My impression of it was that it would be better blended, or paired with another fruit.

The only reason I don't use fermentation bags, is because I believe that the fruit has more contact with the wine, I have heard of squeezing the bag, but that's a step that I don't have to do. OK, I have to rack more, a trade-off.

I racked it to the 1 gal carboy today, using a funnel, strainer, and cheesecloth. It was 1/2 full, so I added some reserved white grape/ginger wine to top up. It is still hazy, and will add pectic if it doesn't clear.

Fermentation bags that I have used are nothing more than a relatively fine mesh. Contact with the wine is not going to be a problem with them. And I push them down into the must once a day for at least the first 3-6 days if it take that long for the fermentation.

See, that's where I tend to cringe. I think that the wine exposure HAS to be greater if not in a bag, it HAS to! The bag that it's in HAS to restrict some wine circulation. I don't mean to be argumentative, but this has crossed my mind several times, and I have come to the same conclusion each time. The only thing I can think of, on the other side of the argument, is that the difference is negligible, thus the point is moot, but I'm still not sold on it!

Last edited:
. . . easier racking notwithstanding, I'm just looking at the wine, and fruit concentration.

The ginger wine had an ABV of 15%, and was dry, so if there is leftover sugar in the apricot I hope it balances out. Also, It brings up the ABV of the apricot, it was about 1/2 + 1/2, so I'll say that the resulting wine is probably close to 13%.

Already has a layer of lees on the bottom, starting to clear.

I just had a thought, using the bag, does this possibly reduce losses because of less racking?

Yes, it does. And time also. Less floaters, less racking, less waste. And it will clear faster. Straining the must to get the buggers out is a real pain. Just my 2.0 worth. What works best for you is key

Beano Joe

Latest posts

Back