Dragon blood not fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORnurse

Reaction score
I had a successful first dragon blood. This time I mixed the same ingredients on 3/7. Only difference was I changed the frozen fruits to "aldis" brand tropical fruit. Pitched yeast 3/8. Stirred and squeeze bag as instructed. Temp around 70, sp was 1.080.

Today 3/10 not active signs of fermentation. Temp 70.5, sp 1.080. I decided to try a yeast stater. Got it going good, added a cup of must, still looked good. Added anther cup and now yeast is sitting on bottom of starter with no signs of fermentation. Help!?

What type of yeast did you use? Visual signs of fermentation is over-rated. What did your Hydrometer say? What temp is your must?

Did you check the ingredients of the juice? It may have contained a preservative that inhibits yeast reproduction.

Lotta bad yeast mojo going around.

Maybe your yeast has the winter blahs... I had a couple pacts of lazy Montrachet that sort of half fermented. Lazy buggers.

My yeast was sitting in my cabinet for a couple weeks. I didn't think it had to be refrigerated?

It "should" be. But it's not a huge deal if its not. I just put my heating pad under a Demi when it gets stuck and give it a few hours. Sometimes a little extra heat gets things going.

I turned the hear up, so I hope it gets going. No movement on the hydrometer. Will the yeast sitting in the must effect the taste at all? What's the life span on the yeast sitting in the must?

image-2123205687.jpg

Here Is a picture of the fruit ingredients. I did also add 6 bananas and a pound of golden raisins

I can't see the ascot iv acid being a problem. It's an antioxidant and not really a preservative. I was worried there might be a salt preservative in the fruit that was holding things up.
Should take off soon.
Wine can sit on inactive yeast for around 60 days before it imparts a yeasty flavor. It can only sit on dead yeast for about 30 days before the dead cells begging to produce noticeable amounts of methane. That would impart a rotten egg smell in the wine.
I've had to pitch twice on a few batches. Usually because there was a preservative like sorbate in the fruit or concentrate. Luckily the first pitch of yeast absorbs the preservative, making a better breeding ground for the second pitch of yeast.
You should be fine.
With a little heat and another pitch you should see a little activity in 24-48 hours.
You can try yeast nutrient and yeast energizer too. They'll provide food for the yeast and help them multiply faster.

jimmyjames23 said:
Wine can sit on inactive yeast for around 60 days before it imparts a yeasty flavor. It can only sit on dead yeast for about 30 days before the dead cells begging to produce noticeable amounts of methane. That would impart a rotten egg smell in the wine.

It is not methane. It's hydrogen sulfide that is produced.

Thanks for your help jimmy, on my way to check the starter I did yesterday

Starter smells yeastie and is still sizzling. Added about three cups of must since yesterday. Should I add it to the must?

The raisins I added, 15 ozs had sulfur dioxide in them for a preservative. Would this affect the original yeast pitch? Will if affect my new pitch?

Latest posts

Back