Double Batches of Port Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
I have heard pros and cons regarding making double batches of port in the 6 gallon carboys as opposed to the single batches in 3 gallon carboys. Is there any reason why double batches are not a good idea, as long as one uses ALL of the ingredients provided for the kit? Many on the discussion forum were complaining that they were not reaching the required SG, but then most of them had changed the recipe and had left out some of the ingredients, ie yeast, nutrients, etc.

No reason why you can't, just remember to keep it well stirred & warm.
VC

New Kid, I added it all.....from both kits. I did have a problem with a stuck fermentation BUT giving it a good stir for a couple of days got it started again. It is right on track where it should be.
smiley4.gif

Mike, have you ever drank this port?? If so, you would know the reason why we make a double batch!!!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

No, haven't made any port (yet).......

Have had port and just had some last week at a dinner party. I like it, but 3 gallons would last me 10 years probably! I think I am more a cognac (and a good cubano every now and then type of guy!)
smiley32.gif

Mmm port. I think if I can get my hands ona 3 gallon carboy I'll do one. Just the price of two kits would keep me from making a double batch at the present.

One problem with port is that you often share with friends when they come over. I find that they all love it and want more. Birthday present, Christmas present, the cellar drain goes on and on. I made 3 gallons last year and plan a double batch this year.

My wife and I hoard our bottles of port. It's a special treat when we crack one of those open. I made a CC Porto Corinto kit early this year and added smoe cognac to some of the bottles - it is noticeably different as it mellows in the six months it has been in the bottle. I had the idea of making another port kit for Christmas gifts this year, and those haev been in the bottle since July - a couple dozen 1/2 bottles, leaving 3 regular bottles for ourselves. Now my wife doesn't want to give them out as gifts at all - she thinks we should keep them all ourselves.

"What our friends and family don't know they won't be getting, won't hurt them."

How's that for selfish? Of course, I'm flattered and I like it too!
Bart

Well, thanks for the advice and all the comments on how wonderful this particular port is! Of course, I already know that since I have just finished my first one last month and it already tastes wonderful and I too have friends clammering after it. So true, 3 gallons doesn't last very long. That is why I am now wanting to make a double batch so that I will have a larger quantity on hand for gifts and for myself later! Will keep it stirred and keep it warm and keep you posted on the results.

New Kid, I agree with you. It goes quickly. So many folks don't care for the drier wines but love sweet wines. I have just bottled a 3 gallon batch and started another for next year. I would have made a double batch but finance is always an issue.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back