Don't have a 6 gallon carboy - can I use a 5 and 1 together?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwine

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We don't have a 6 gallon carboy and are getting close to transferring from the bucket. I have a (1) gallon, (5) gallon and (6-1/2) gallon carboy. This is for a Winexpert kit of Riesling - 6 gallon batch.

What is my best option? I was thinking of splitting between the 5 and 1 but after the yeast cake, maybe all that will be left is 5-1/2 anyway and that'll fill the 5 gallon to the top.

Please help!

Yes go for it. I actually will do this from tim to time to use the gallon for blends or experiment with acid levels and sweetness levels.

I dont make many kits, which I see that's what you're working with here.

But just food for thought; this is what I do on purpose, when it comes to working with fruits and raw ingredients. I use 5's and 1's. The 5's end up with the clearer wine, and the 1's end up holding the sediment and fruit particles. It's easier to separate the sediment from 1 gallon than it is to do so from five, and you'll end up with less than a gallon - but they have bungs that fit wine bottles.

I have a couple larger wine bottles that I'll transfer the clear wine into, from the 1-gallons after I get it separated from the sediment.

I imagine it's a little trickier with kits because there's less sediment to deal with, but it works quite well when it comes to raw fruits. The 5 gallon carboys end up full of some good looking wine rather quickly.

Back