Doesn't smell like Teen Spirit! More like burnt carbonation.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chettd

Reaction score
I started making a strawberry wine recipe almost two months ago. From the end of its fermentation even until now it has a pungent smell of burnt fermentation or carbonation. (That's the best I can describe it). Here is the recipe I used. http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-strawberry.html

I did use two packets of yeast because when I pitched the first one it never started to ferment.

I'm preparing to add an "f-pac" as described on these forums, but because of the strong smell, unlike any smell I noticed from the blueberry I just bottled, I'm a little worried that I may be sinking more money into a batch gone bad.

Any experience with this smell/result?

My strawberry turned out to be very strong also. I did bottle it and i'll just wait to see if it gets better. Also thinking I may use it for a blend later this Fall.

Dan, yours was all juice, this is Im betting very light and flavor and needs an f-pack because its lacking in flavor. With strawberries I wouldnt go below 8 lbs min per gallon and even thats low for strawberries IMO. What temp did this ferment at and what yeast did you use. This should be cool fermented and be using a yeast like Red Star Champagne or Cotes Des Blanc to ferment nice and slow.

It did ferment in a warmer room. I used champagne red star yeast. Will this smell and odd sort of taste go away over time? I'm proceeding with the f-pac and finishing steps as a learning experience if nothing else. This is only the second batch I've made so all experiences are learning experiences.

I stabilized today and I'm going to degass at the same time to mix and see if that helps with the off smell. Is this practice okay?

Back