Does anyone else do this

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
When my carboys are not in use I put a little K-meta solution in them and keep them on airlock. Anyone else do this?

I think it is called a poly seal? It is black screw cap and has a poly seal inside. Anyway that is what we use on carboys and store them in their original box.

After we have washed our bottles we use a t cork with kmeta and lemon juice mixture.

Just uncap both, rinse and they are ready to use.

I'll pick me up a solid bung next visit to the supply store

I pour in a few ounces of k-meta and cover the top with cellophane and rubber band.

I'll pick me up a solid bung next visit to the supply store

It is a good idea to have a few solid bungs around. Some home brew stores carry a small plug (like a little rubber cork), that will fit in the air lock hole of the bung, to seal the carboy.

I find it helpful to buy several different styles and sizes of bungs to have on hand.

I do not.

My thinking is that there is no advantage to keeping the carboy (or demijohn) sterile when not in use. To me, I makes more sense to sterilize the container just prior to use.

What I do is simply clean the container REAL WELL, invert it for about a day to allow it to drain/dry, then simply store it open and unsealed.

When I go to use it again, I clean the heck out of it (using hot water and PBW/star san) and then hit it with k-meta. This has work for me for a couple of decades and seems to be a lot less trouble.

I keep my carboys seal with 1/2 cup k-meta solution and rinse once prior to use. I do the same with my primaries. I rinse the racking canes and tubing with k-meta and loop them sealed. Again a quick rinse and they are ready to go.

Do you rinse with sulfite solution, bung and store or do you keep sulifte solution in carboy, bung and store? If latter how much do you fill carboy.

We use about a cup to 2 cups in primary buckets, half a cup in 1 gallon carboys and a about 4 inches in 750ml. The key to to seal the solution in because kmeta works by fumes. As long as there is still a good healthy kmeta smell, the solution can be used over and over.

No. I wash after I'm thru with the carboy and then prior to using it again however that time lag is usually short.

Some of you guys way over think some of this stuff,whats it take 2 minutes to rinse and sanatize a carboy !!!
My theory is K.I.S.S.

You don't put sulfite solution in your bottles until you are ready to fill them so why the carboys. I don't even keep utensils in solution. Prior and after use they get washed quickly, rinsed, sulfite spray and rinsed again. We have good water.

Making wine is very forgiving. Practice cleanliness and you will be fine. When you start making many wines at different stages and devote an entire room to storing bottled wine you will understand better.

Simple is right. To each his own.

I am in the minority here. I too, store them dry. I clean them real well after use, and store them upside down in there respective boxes. When I need one, I rinse/clean it out real well and use it.
Same with utensils, I just keep them in a designated bucket. If I am in the middle of a ferment, I rinse them off after stirring, etc. with real hot water, and restore them for the next day. So far, this has worked just fine for me.

Latest posts

Back