Do you need to top off?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miccbull

Reaction score
I just finished fermenting a couple red juice pails a few days ago and racked to a carboy with kmeta. I plan to leave it in the carboy for a few months then rack it again for a few more months before going to bottle... There seems to be an awful lot of head space. I thought this was something I could leave and the gas from the kmeta would keep the air off the wine but the more I read I am not so sure.

I feel like removing the airlock at this point to top off would introduce oxygen that maybe the kmeta had already forced out, because there is still a little pressure in the airlock. But at the same time, when I put the airlock on, there wasn't a lot of bubbles to push the air out in the first place. So maybe the carboy is still filled with air.

Thanks Kim... I'll add a photo to the thread to show the extent of the head space. Is this enough to warrant topping up? I have wine I could use to top up.... how much does this affect flavour? Just pop off the airlock and pour in the wine the put the airlock back on?

IMAG0031.jpg

For This problem I'm planning on racking to a 5 gallon carboy then bottling the remaining in 375ml bottles for topping off and/or taste testing.

Latest posts

Back