Do yall taste your wine while its in production?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Do yall taste your wine while its in production?

If so, what do you use?

I can use a baster, but I disinfect it first, so the wine sucked up by it will have too much disinfectant on it, I'm assuming.

I can not disinfect it, but then I introduce a small amount of bacteria to the wine.

When I back sweeten and add my f-pack, I always have to taste test it too see where it is. Normally and if I'm lucky, this "tasting" is an all day process! :)

I use a turkey baster that has been washed good in k-meta to sanitize before inserting into the wine.

I do, but try not to, just because I know it's gonna taste bad and I don't want to create a pre-conceived prejudice. Yes... I know that age changes the flavor and the end product will be much smother but it's in the psyche ;o)

Anyway, I use a sensitized wine thief. You can get one real cheap at any brew shop.

I never miss the opportunity to tase a little out of every batch every time I rack. Although it's not as good as the finished product, I want to check for off tastes as well as taste the evolution of juice into wine. Turkey basters are fine, but a "wine thief" works well too. You gotta believe that if your wine wasn't meant to be tasted frequently there would be no such thing, right?:D

As far as bacteria goes, remember the starting juice was full of rodent nest matter, bird droppings, bees , etc. But once the alcohol is formed, it's pretty much antimicrobial (nothing that's bad for us could survive in it.) I still sanitize everything anyway 'cause it's good a good practice to be in, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if you forget.

Mark

I do try it but like Dani I try not to make any conclusions. I just want to make sure I am on track! Go ahead...:b

I begin the winemaking process by tasting the grapes before I purchase them. I also use a light refractometer to get a more analytical idea about the grapes.

I also taste the wine when I press it. If you can dismiss the yeast flavor, and also ignore the malic "tart", I can get a hint of what the wine may turn out to be like. My cab franc, for example, already is developing a great aroma after only 4 weeks.

As you know, there can be many, many "deveolpmental" problems that can occur. These problems (like mercaptans or oxidation) will most definately worsen over time if left unchecked. Keep in touch with your wine by tasting it early and ofter!..

I ofter say to my Wife...."Honest honey, I am not drinking, I am only doing quality control"! :h

i will agree with some of the above comments. i taste the wine whenever it's being worked on. i usually wait until after the first rack off the primary and then during the next racking i'll try it. i've become very good at noticing off flavors. also, i've familiarized myself with ways to tweak the wine to produce better results. there are many tricks to help a wine out.

Quality control is a must. Pun intended. Anyhow, I have to know how the wine is tasting all through start to finish.

:h Yup, Tasting good at 8am. I also keep a thought of the taste test in my log, helps me keep track on the next batch.

personally I think you should taste your wine as you go so you know what it should taste like if something goes wrong or you think it might be going wrong the next time . I love that when you start out with the juice of any kind then it gets to that not so good tasting point then turns around and comes out a great wine is fanstatic .

I taste every time I rack or add anything... always top off afterwards. I use a sanitized wine thief, 3 bucks at my LWS. That way I can make adjustments as necessary.

I used to but not so much anymore. I'm a veteran now, been making wine for 6 months. Close to 100 gallons now though. The only thing I like to do is let my 18 month old son taste the testing sample when I first start a kit. He loves juice! Wine...not so much.

Oh Yes

I use a sanitized wine thief and taste anytime I do anything with my wine. I like to besure everything is okay as I go.

Latest posts

Back