Do I rack my Mixed Berry if it is still bubbling in the primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

You can ferment ANYTHING!!
Reaction score
I made it on February 5, 2012 and the breather is still bubbling. It is a 6g version. Do I let it go until the bubbling stops?

I have not measured the SG. I have a hydrometer, but I also have a refractometer. Do you think the refractometer is okay to use, or do I need to rely only on the hydrometer?

I will measure today and replay back. I have 2 x 6g batches running right now. A strawberry and the mixed berry.

One more question, when do I pull the mesh bag of fruit out?? ...when I rack?

Last edited:
At this point the hydrometer is fine. You can leave it primary as long as it has an airlock in it. If not, rack it like Rocky advised

the refractometer is good prior to fermentation but one you start fermenting you need to depend on your hydrometer.

Never depend on the bubbles coming from an airlock, always use your hydrometer to measure the status of your wine.

In my experience, the most important factor in deciding when to move your batch from primary to secondary is "the mess potential". If the S.G. is 1.020 or greater, you run the risk of getting a highly active ferment after moving it to the secondary; this can cause the batch to bubble up and overflow the neck of the carboy. Once your batch is below 1.020, the chances of a vigorous ferment is much lower.

When you rack your batch from primary to secondary, you'll likely expose the yeast to some oxygen which sometimes wakes up a sleepy ferment. Moving the batch to a warmer area can also get it fired up.

It measured 1.000, right at the top of the scale. So I racked it over to a 6g glass carboy. I am thinking I am going to need to rack again in a month or two.

My 2g version of this turned out so good that we needed to do a larger batch.

It measured 1.000, right at the top of the scale. So I racked it over to a 6g glass carboy. I am thinking I am going to need to rack again in a month or two.

My 2g version of this turned out so good that we needed to do a larger batch.

Good move and yes you will probably need to rack in another month or two, I would suggest not to do it in less than a month, leave it sit for a whole month and see if you need to rack.

...I would suggest not to do it in less than a month, leave it sit for a whole month and see if you need to rack.

Believe it or not, I am getting good at waiting. I am not in a rush. I find that if you make wine often (beer too), you'll have a supply on hand constantly.:b

Believe it or not, I am getting good at waiting. I am not in a rush. I find that if you make wine often (beer too), you'll have a supply on hand constantly.:b

lol, yes you are right. When I first started waiting just was not in my vocabulary

Latest posts

Back