Do I add Campden?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Drank_It

Reaction score
The Jack Keller cherry wine [dry] #1 recipe does not mention campden or K-meta at all whereas some of his other recipes (like muscadine) does say to add campden. Should I add the campden?

Camden tablets (Potassium Metabisulfite) is used to stall/stun bacteria while your yeast can get a foothold and begin a good fermentation.

Whether a recipe does or does not you should use this prior to the addition of pectic enzyme (@12-24 hrs), then later on your yeast (again @12-24 hrs).

You will use 1 tablet per gallon of must/wine to be made. Disolve after crushing the tablets in a few drops of water or even better your must, then add to your must and stir well.

Place a straining bag or loose lid on top of your primary and wait 12-24 hours before proceeding with the recipe.

Never inhale the fumes from the camden tablets.

Last edited:
I read that he assumes you know to use it so its not written into his recipes.. I use it even in frozen and store bought juice recipes..It takes only a little more work. Does no harm. Mostly because I feel there are more sources of yeast and bacteria in a house than just the fruit. Its a bit of insurance. Use 1 campden tab per gallon, wait 24 hours vented before adding yeast. Others may do different.

Last edited:
1 campden is not equal to 1 tsp. of potassium metabisulfite.. 1 campden per gallon, or 2/3 tsp. k-meta for 5 gallons..for anti-oxident and bactericide in wine.

1 campden is not equal to 1 tsp. of potassium metabisulfite.. 1 campden per gallon, or 2/3 tsp. k-meta for 5 gallons..for anti-oxident and bactericide in wine.

That's right I'm sorry. I don't use tablets normally. I use powder with all the wine I do it's cheaper. I corrected that.

Remember 1 tablet per gallon of must.

That's too much k-meta, its only 1/4 tsp for 5-6 gal.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I only have the campden tablets. I'll get the K-meta next time I'm at the brewing store.

1 campden tablet per gallon or 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons is right. In actuality 3.5 campden tablets is the same as 1/4 tsp per gallon but not enough to worry about the difference.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I only have the campden tablets. I'll get the K-meta next time I'm at the brewing store.

If you are going to do an occasional wine then stick with the tablets. For ease and speed with larger amounts of wine Pot. Meta. is the way to go.

Keep in mind Sodium Metabisulfite is similar but different. Be sure to get the correct one.

I keep all of my chemicals in Rubbermaid tubs of various sizes with labels on them and the appropriate amounts needed. Always dbl. check before adding.

Just remember that if mixing up a gallon of sanitizer you will need like about 88 tablets to make a sanitizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just remember that if mixing up a gallon of sanitizer you will need like about 88 tablets to make a sanitizer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Wade, I haven't made the sanitizer with it yet. I'm using the B-Brite stuff.

Just noticed this guys..I have a bottle and a bag of potassium meta..

The bottle says "from Quality Wine and Ale Supply".. For a sanitizer - use 2 oz per 1 gallon of water. For use as an antioxident & bactericide - use two-thirds teaspoon to 5 gallons of wine. Dissolve sulphite in a little warm water before adding. http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-making-supplies-wine-additives.php

the bag says.."from JW Dover"..In place of campden tablets use 1/8 tsp. per 5 gallons at racking. To stabilize at bottling use 1/4 tsp. per 5 gallons. http://174.120.226.7/catalog/produc...d=800&osCsid=bf4e5954c9cca3bda62538a6a87d8ba7

I have not used the bottled stuff yet, but it does concern me a bit..Do you think there could be different concentrations of this stuff? Or maybe a mis-print.

I think the last is transposed but the total volume looks good.

At racking after fermentation I add 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons. After it has fined and is clear I add a pinch per 5 gallons.

Back