DIY Temperature control

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool set up. I assume you are saving electric since you are warming up two containers. The bigggest issue I would have is the lifting in and out of the tote on that bench. Myself, I would probably have it on the floor on one of these. I have three of them right now that I have carboys and cases of wine on. They are handy as heck in the basement.

Thank you, I will use my vacume pump to rack out of the primary so I don't have to lift it. The bench will fit 2 tote bins so I can have 2 primaries and 2 secondaries going or 4 secondaries. I am going to build a second bench though just big enough to hold the bin that holds to two primaries and make it a bit shorter then the current bench. I have noticed that getting the juice into the primary is a little hard since I have to lift the juce to about shoulder level to dump it in. I don't want to set the bin on the floor because that would lead to additional cooling from contact with the cement floor.

I have been thinking of using a heating pad on top of some foam board. The heating pad will be plugged into a PID controller with internal relay. Set the carboy or the primary on the pad. I can then just tape the probe to the side of the primary or secondary. Digital controlled precision. I bought my controller at http://auberins.com/ Great prices and all kinds of teck toys..
I think the insulated foam board might benifit any heater system when the container needs to sit on a concrete floor. Then no need to build more benches. They sell it at the local home imp store up to 2" thick.
I am also eyeballing an old waterbed heating pad I have "about 3' square". I could cut a piece of foam board to the same size as the pad. Set the foam board down, the pad on top, and I think I could easily fit 4 carboys on it and heat them all together. I will also make "sleeves" that slide over my carboys out of thermal barrier "silver bubble wrap stuff". That is sold at home stores too.

Last edited:
I to have a old waterbed heating pad that was salvaged. It has lots of disclaimers on it to only use under a water mattress as a possible fire hazzard???? Only able to find some info on re-using it as a seed tray heater, but it seems to be able to be reto-fitted for carboys also?? It has a controller & a temp sensor prod, about 15 inches by 36 inches, rubber coated material. It was designed to warm water, so should also heat the carboys, I have some 3 inch styrofoam sheets that could make a box/tray to set it in. May try a test using a carboy with just water or a 5 gal plastic water jug to see if I can control the heat & temp in them. Don't want to chance loosing a full carboy of wine but this would be ideal if able to control the heat. Would be a great help in the colder months...
Any comments or suggestions are welcome......
Al

I to have a old waterbed heating pad that was salvaged. It has lots of disclaimers on it to only use under a water mattress Any comments or suggestions are welcome......
Al

Thats simple. Fill your water mattress with enough wine and sleep on it and show it some luvin!

Has anyone tried using a waterbed heater? I think they're long enough to sit 3-4 buckets directly on one. Would have to tape the copper temp sensor to the side of a bucket though or you'd run the risk of the heater running really hot or cold depending on where the sensor was.
BTW, I did see Albargita's post but nobody really answered.
Dan's idea is a good one!!

Last edited:
That might be too much heat compared to how much water is inside a water bed - all you can do is try it

I use an aquarium heater and that seems to work very nice and it's submersible also

Thanks steve

Latest posts

Back