Did I Screw Up My Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chettd

Reaction score
This is my first unsupervised attempt at making wine and I fear I've screwed it up. I made my wine as the recipe directed, but after I pitched the yeast I put the lid on my airlock container instead of a towel (that I now have re-read and saw that it specified). My specific gravity is under 1 and it is on its sixth day of fermintation. It was going to be my first batch of strawberry wine, but now I'm afraid I might have ruined it. Is it ruined beyond repair, or what can I do to fix it?

Chet, first off welcome to the forum and relax! You're fine and I do exactly what you did with all of my kits. Just keep going forward and follow the directions. Keep us posted and feel free to ask questions anytime.

Runningwolf,

Thank you for your fast reply. I have a follow up question. I am learning to use my hydrometer and am unsure of how to get an accurate reading after the initial measurement of making the wine. As I understand the process, I used the hydrometer to add enough sugar to reach a potential alcohol percentage of appx 13%. After the wine has fermented obviously it has fallen drastically. How can I get an accurate measurement of the current alcohol percentage, or do I have to wait until I am preparing to bottle before I can get an accurate measurement?

@Jason

I would but I forgot to order a stopper for my 6 gallon carboy so I don't have a way to air lock it. It should be here in the mail soon, but due to the weather and 18 inches of snow that was dumped on us who knows it may be Wed or Thur before it gets here. Any suggestions?

It is time to rack to your secondary if thats what the instructions call for. When you get the same hydrometer reading three days in a row your wine has finished fermenting. Make sure you take notes along the way and write all your readings in the notes. This is your ending sg reading. Steve has posted a nice tutorial in our beginners section you'll want to look at also on reading hydrometers.

Much thanks. I'm so glad I found this site. Becoming a FB fan right now.

You should airlock in the vessel you have it in for now but not for long. You do not want to leave it on the gross lees for any extended time.

Welcome aboard!!

Agreed - sounds like your are fine - just need to rack to another vessel at this point.

Have you found a solution for an airlock yet?

If you have an airlock for the vessel that you have it in right now rack it off the lees then put it back into the same vessel and put the airlock on it for now until you get the one for you six gallon carboy then you can transfer it there when you get that bung

Gals and Guys, correct me if I am wrong, I am at work and going from memory, but to get a good estimate of the final alcohol level, you take starting SG minus ending SG and multiply result by 133.
Ex: Starting SG 1.085
Ending SG .995
(1.085 - .995) x 133 = 11.97 % ABV

Last edited:
Okay I racked the wine and "adapted" a stopper with some black electrical tape. I put some soapy water around the stopper once it was in place, so as the plumbers say "no bubbles no troubles." It seems to be working.

I sampled the wine to see how it tasted and wasn't impressed with the taste after the first racking. It tasted very yeasty (word?) Will the taste improve after it has time to settle in this carboy over the next several weeks? Also if I want to sweeten the taste do I do that right before I bottle, or when should I sweeten it to the taste my wife prefers?

Sorry for all the questions. As I said before this is my first attempts so it's all new to me. Thank you all for your help.

With some time, the good from your first taste will become more pronounced and the bad will slowly go away. You should try to minimize airspace as much as possible. I suggest you top up with a like wine if thats possible.

Back