Did I just kill my ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwenakinyi

Junior
Reaction score
After 2 weeks in a secondary, I racked into a clean secondary to get it off the lees (I had a couple of inches of sediment due to an earlier error when I stirred the must before racking from primary into secondary, duh). SG read 1.00, so my ferment isn't completely done. But I added 1/2 a campden tablet (I think I was supposed to?) after racking, and topped off with commercial wine.

Did I kill off the last of my fermentation when I added the campden? I haven't seen any new bubbles since racking.

stirring the primary must during fermentation is a good thing in that it provides oxygen to the yeast.
As far as you present fermentation, the fermentation is probably complete, I assume that the wine is a small amount , a gallon?. A dry wine would be anywhere from .992-.998. it will ferment a little more just be patient you are not off by far if it did quit. just let it stand for another two months and then check sg.

stirring the primary must during fermentation is a good thing in that it provides oxygen to the yeast.
Yes, but I stirred RIGHT before racking into my secondary, so I took all of the sediment with me. I then had almost 3 inches of sediment in my 1 gal secondary, which was all liquid lost during racking. I had to top off with a whole bottle of commercial sauvignon blanc, which is unfortunate. But this is my "learning batch," so I'm embracing the errors.

A dry wine would be anywhere from .992-.998. it will ferment a little more just be patient you are not off by far if it did quit. just let it stand for another two months and then check sg.
Ok, thank you! Was it a mistake to add the 1/2 campden tablet at this stage?

Likely with a wine yeast: you will be fine.

I did the same to a mead a short while ago - while it killed off my 'bread yeast' batch: the wine yeast version was just fine.

As @salcoco mentioned: let it sit and check it after some time to see if it either continued to ferment or simply stabilized itself.

After initial addition (24 hours before adding yeast,( fresh fruit, grapes) no additional K-Meta should be added until completion of fermentation, including MLF. If no MLF is desired then add K-Meta to start clarifying/ageing process.

I try to follow the rule of threes. rack from primary, (you are correct do not stir must the day you plan to rack). have wine stay in secondary three days. this allows any gross lees to drop out plus complete fermentation. The first rack from primary can be with sg 1020 to 1000. if 1020 measure at tend of three days in the secondary to see if complete if not wait until complete. rack after three days plus of off gross lees, then add K-meta. I would start to use powder form it is easier to control. nominal dosage is 1/4 tsp in 5 gallons. at end of three weeks rack again add clarifying agents if desired or let it clear naturally. at the end or three months wine should be clear add K-meta and bottle if a fruit wine. if a grape wine wait another 3 months or more to bottle.

Did I kill off the last of my fermentation when I added the campden? I haven't seen any new bubbles since racking.
When you rack, the splashing releases a lot of CO2. So your fermentation can still be going with no activity in the airlock because the yeast activity is much slower this late in the fermentation, and the wine has to get saturated again before it releases it. Like Sal said, it's just about dry as it is, and will most likely continue to drop slowly.

Latest posts

Back