RJ Spagnols Delu Ranch Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I started this today. RJ Spangnols has easier instructions than Mosti Mondiale. I'll still screw it up though. I'm doubt the quality is as good as Mosti. I had to add water and never had to with Mosti. Again the point is EASY instructions!

Are you kidding. The EP kits make some pretty darn good wine!

Keep us posted!
smiley20.gif

jprince0562@yah said:
I'm doubt the quality is as good as Mosti. I had to add water and never had to with Mosti.

All Juice doesn't necessarily equate to higher quality. While the MM Meglioli kits lead to outstanding wines, the MM Original All Juice kits have the reputation of providing wine better compared to table wines. I suspect if you did a side by side test of the MMAJ wine and a premium 16L kit wine, the 16L wine would be better, even though you added water to make it.

It sounds like you will be presently surprised with the quality of your Woodbridge CabSauv.

I have done 3 MM Megiloli kits, One is 15 months and not that great (yet?). Another is recently bottled and another in barrel. None of them are thus far among my favorites. But I have also done several Limited kits from Cellar Craft, RJS and Wine Expert, all 16 - 18 Ltr kits. Some with and some without grapes or raisins. Many of those are among my favorites. So what I am asking myself is if I can make a $100 - $130 kit that I love after 9 or 12 months, why am I buying $220.00 kits that MIGHT be as good (hopefully better) after 2 years? In other words are the MMM high dollar kits going to be worth the $$$ and time?
smiley18.gif

I have never bought a MM Meg kit or a Masters. Just seemed way overpriced IMHO. I have not been very impressed with the MM AJ's but I still have hopes for my MM AJ Petite Syrah that I added a Syrah Grape Pack and went through the Vadai. It was the only decent PS kit on the market so no real alternative if you get my drift. I have had pretty good luck with the MM Renaissance as you have I believe.

I plan on trying some of the RJS EP kits as time permits along with expanding more and more into the fresh grape business (at least for reds) I will continue to make whites for sure via kit. Many CC Showcase as well as some RJS EP whites as well.

SWMBO and I shared a Renaissance Barolo, 20 months old, last night. It was excellent with good body, nice spice which I love, great finish, vanilla notes from the 2oz of Hungarian Medium toast beans I added, and some dark fruit. It does make me wonder what the point would be of spending much more than $150 delivered for an ultra premium kit. What would be the upside? A wine that is even better at 3 years? I would hate to get hooked on wines from kits costing north of $200 delivered if I am perfectly happy with the Showcase, Winery Series, Renaissance and Selection Estate kits.

That said, I couldn't resist buying 1 Meglioli, 1 Crushendo and 1 Masters kits when I saw them offered at about 40% off on clearance. None have passed 18 months yet, so no report. I hope they don't end up tasting unbelievable...

My main supplier, who's palate I trust, and is a major wino like us all rated the kits like this:

Meglioli by a hair
RJS EP
RJS CC Winery
Cellar Craft Showcase collection
RJS Cru Select and Cellar Classic (2 equal lines)
MM Masters
MM All Juice
RJS Grand Cru
WE Selection Estate
WE Selection
etc.

I trust his judgement. He says Meglioli is worth it, but that that the rest of the RJS line are much better values. All I know is that I like almost everything I've done in the RJS line, everything I've done in the CC showcase line, and MM Fresco is very good too.

At any rate, you should really love the EP Cab! It's spectacular for a kit! Blows away many Cabs made from cab grapes alone.

WE Crushendo

Interesting, always good to get someones impressions and compare to yours.

Is he saying the RJS Cellar Classic series is on par or slightly better than the Winery series?

No, he rates the winery series as 3rd, but then rates the Cru Select line and the regular Cellar Classic lines as equals in 5th place. The only real difference between the two lines are style. Cru Select is more french/italian old world style, and Cellar Classic is more new world american/australian style.

I have never tried an RJS Winery series but at $20 - $40 cheaper than the CC Showcase. But the RJS EP at $15.00 ro $20.00 more than the CC Winery and 3 ltr more juice, it kind of makes me think that the RJS line in general is the best value. Of course the wine we like the best is the best value, right!

Looks like they are more along the lines of $10-20 cheaper and they are 16L like the Showcase kits.

I think we all have some research to do and then report back and compare notes!
smiley23.gif

ttortorice said:
I have never tried an RJS Winery series but at $20 - $40 cheaper than the CC Showcase. 

Hmm, I just received some Winery Series kits from George and they say 18L on the box. I am assuming (guess I'll never learn) that there are 16L of juice/concentrate and 2L of jam in the jar. And Tony, yes, the wine you like best is the best value. No question. Even if you add $1 per bottle for costs of cork, shrink cap, label and chemicals, we are still only talking about $7 per bottle max. (OK, I am ignoring the hyper expensive kits here. That could push it up to $9.) Quite a deal for delicious wine.

Just off the phone with George, he is pretty sure the winery series is 16L of juice and 2L of grape pack just like the Showcase. Cellar Craft has raised the price of their kits recently to the point that it is pretty noticeable.

Tony, I made this EP Delu Ranch Cab about 20 months. Still a bit early but at this point I am thoroughly impressedand will say it is my best effort so far. Definitely plan to make another this year. I have made RJS Winery series and CC Showcase but not a MM Meg. I did add 1 additional med plus American oak spiral during bulk aging for about 3 weeks.

Maybe the EP will go on sale atFVW next month and we can stock up. We can hope!

I also have made the RJS EP Delu Cab about 18 months ago. Still not ready, but taste tests show it will be very nice when 24 to 30 months old. Even better by 36 months I am sure.

Dean - "...MM Fresco is very good too." Am curious which of the Mosti Fresco varieties you have tried and their quality? Our local supplier has their once per year refrigerated semi-trailer out back with the 2011 fall California/Italian Fresco fresh juice pails. As the fresco pails only include juice, our retailer suggests buying EC1118 yeast and clarifiers rather than follow the exact fresco Mosti instructions. How did you make up your Fresco pails to maximize quality?

Interesting notes on the Cru Select vs Cellar Classic lines as the CC are $20 cheaper here per kit. Had bought some Cru Select shiraz kits to go up a level in quality.

Latest posts

Back