Degassing using Mighty Vac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mharris335

Reaction score
I got a Mighty Vac hand pump. I used it for the past year. It just broke this past weekend. It took me forever to degas my wine. I had to pump and pump for hours to get all the C02 out of the wine. Is there any other way to get the gas out other then pumping? The mighty vac is better then hand with a spoon.

A lot of us have moved to using vacuum aspirators. They are like the mighty vac on steroids. Hook up the pump with a hose or two, turn on for ten to fifteen minutes, turn it off and you are done. They can also transfer the wine from carboy to carboy and some even use it to bottle.

Yep electric is the way to go and you can also rack your wine without ever lifting a carboy off the floor again, you can also filter your wine and bottle your wine with one of these. They sell on Ebay for about $80 usually. Heres a picture of mine in use racking a wine.
2-2.jpg

That looks like something I want to get. How much are they and where can I get one?

I saw something on Ebay for an oil change pump. Would that work for wine? Automatic OIL CHANGE Pump - Save $$$ on Expensive Oil.. and it's only$15.

Wade, I have the above photo and the one with the bottling hook-up posted on my fridge. I need both so I know I have the right hoses hooked up to the correct caps the right way. I'm such a visual learner! Thank you for posting them! I would be lost!

Mharris335 said:
I saw something on Ebay for an oil change pump. Would that work for wine? Automatic OIL CHANGE Pump - Save $$$ on Expensive Oil.. and it's only$15.

I don't think that is what you want. You need a vacuum pump. You don't want your wine going thru the pump

Does anyone know who makes these vacuum pumps? I want one so much, and obviously can't get one here in the UK, so I could ask my supplier to get me one!

Many thanks! :)

We don't buy these from normal supply houses either here in the US. Go to ebay.com and look for them on the auctions. You can buy from them as well as we can here. You need to watch for the right deals or you can spend too much. I saw that the same model Invacare I have recently is going for close to $300 while others have picked one up recently for around $100- quite a difference.

Back