Degassing bottled wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwineleo

Reaction score
Just opened a bottle of WE Chilean Merlot that was bottled in July 06. Still has a "sulfite" odor to it. Now that I'm on my 4th kit (this Merlot was my 2nd), I realize that I probably didn't degass a well as I should have since I didn't almost break my arm degassing the Merlot. Any ideas how to get rid of the sulfite smell? Just decant? I'd hate to open all remaining bottles to degass again (correctly) and rebottle. Any ideas?

Decant for an hour especially with reds. You could also open a bottle, put your finger on the top and give it a shake and then let your finger off to get the poof but dont do that in front of company, they may not like the idea of your finger being in their wine!
23_28_108.gif
You could also get a vacuvin wine saver to degas bottles.<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">4317 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2909_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Vacuum Wine Saver - by Vacu-Vin Comes with 1 stopper
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$11.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$11.99 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="right">$11.39</td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List

Shipping Cost Estimate</td>
</tr>

</t></table>

Edited by: wade

I'm without company (except for my bride) so I'll try both tonight. Any of my wine drinking friends wouldn't care about a finger in their wine. They're just happy to be drinking someone else's wine! Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back