Decanter kills KT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
As with many enthusiast I could not wait the recommended year or two for my first red to age properly. Today, I got as far a six months and had to pop a bottle. I had tasted some at bottling time and was disappointed to learn first hand what kit taste was all about. It was something I really did not want hanging over my head for the next two years, thinking all this effort to get a bottle that taste poor. I had read that decanting wine can help remove this "KT" on a post in this forum.
This afternoon I cracked open a six month old bottle and poured a 1/4 glass to taste and the rest poured it into a decanter for tonight. The 1/4 glass still had that Jolly Rancher taste to it, I was so disappointed. However, after a few hours decanting, we really enjoyed this young wine. It was as good as any of the cheap reds I have bought locally. With time perhaps it will be better than the cheap red I typically buy.
Therefore, I highly recommend getting a decanter if you suffer from the "KT" blues.
Cheers!

Good observation.

Yep, that old KT and KS (kit smell) are not very pleasant. It's good to know decanting can also help there, because I haven't heard that before. I have some year-olds that still have KT and KS. Next time I try one of them, I'll try decanting it a few hours, first. That should give me a better idea about how it will end up.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back