Death be to the Handy Cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started with the two handled corker and, while it worked, I lived in terror of breaking a bottle while corking. I now have the Portugese floor corker and it is a dream come true. I can cork a 30 bottle batch of wine in about 5 minutes.

I got the floor corker - just did a batch with a friend and my 6 yr old - yup, that's the only way to do it.

I had my buddy do one with the "handy" corker first, then he moaned in ecstasy with every floor corker squeeze.

Gotta have the bad before you can appreciate the great.

FYI - I have one Handy Corker For Sale - seller motivated, will sell cheap, free shipping.
smiley2.gif

Congratulations !
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Does that mean you will make more wine...
smiley2.gif

Anyone else interested in a floor corker (I have mine !) - found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wine-Making-Heavy-Duty-Portugal-Corker-Cork-Press_W0QQitemZ180363478620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item29fe80465c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A6|294%3A50

at present, the current bid is quite low, even with the shipping it would give one pause to consider.

Dang, Wade, that is alot of wine!!! You need to start drinkin up!!
smiley36.gif

Wade, actually the floor corker is the Portegese floor corker. I made a bid on it as it is a good deal.
smiley4.gif

Thanks Pelican, that does look like a good deal. I put a bid on it this morning.
smiley4.gif

Okay I missed that it was Port because i saw the brass iris which is usually only on the Italian so either this is an older one that will probably out live us all or maybe they do offer an brass one somewhere!

Kyliesales, I dont like any of the $60 red wine kits but the whites are decent. Sorry, I missed that question before.

wade said:
Okay I missed that it was Port because i saw the brass iris which is usually only on the Italian so either this is an older one that will probably out live us all or maybe they do offer an brass one somewhere!

Perhaps they changed the iris to brass..... If thats even possible

I think its probably the other way around as the newer ones are nylon. ts probably an older 1 which is fine cause they will last a very long time.

I wasn't as clear as I could have been. Perhaps they changed the original nylon iris to brass.

I did a little research and found that there are actually a few models, the burgundy Port floor corkers are a better quality with some having brass Iris and round steel instead of extruded. Some have the extruded only and nylon iris though. I dont know if they have slowly changed to cheaper over the years as every website i see has only nylon iris and no mention anywhere of that changing. Maybe they offer some of these better models overseas or something!

Pelican, seems as tho I have one person out bidding me. haha
Still have 1 day to go.
smiley4.gif

Hope you get it and dont get into a bidding war now, just try uppingit with only 10-15 minutes left!

Good strategy if you are behind, wait till the ending of the auction and like Wade says up it with 15 minutes or so to go - then if they have an autobid and top yours right away, go ahead and put in "almost" your top bid and see if their autobid tops you again... but closer to the ending... and hope you have a fast connection because to get it at the last minute you have to be nimble. Recommend you use an autobid and that way whoever has the top autobid gets it just above the other person's level. Oh, it's nervewracking!! I'm getting anxious and it's not even my bid!!! :)

Back