Dead yeast in an old kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
I haven't made any wine in a while. Had my first grandbaby. LIfe sort of got in the way. He 4 now so cleaned up my wine room and started a Cheaper kit I got of Amazon. It has set for two years almost I figured the yeast was dead and it was. I found another one in the fridge But Its gotta Be old too. I went to my local supply and Bought a new yeast pack. I came home opened My primary and its looking good. Swirling around sounds like Rice Crispies. My airlock is not BuBBling at all. I started this two days ago added the new yeast today(not new found in fridge). Im confused at why the airlock is not BuBBing? I have checked the seal of the Bucket. Seem all snug. Should I add the new yeast I just got or not?

Its like the one I found in the fridge is working But in need of CPR lol

Add some yeast nutrients
Does that not expire over time too. lol I need to get all new stuff. I just went ahead and added the new yeast I Bought today. I'll go through all my stuff tomorrow and add new. You cant add too much yeast anyway, right? It will eat the sugar poop out alcohol until it starves to death than falls to the Bottom right? I hope so.

Last edited:
I was just reading the Hydrometer sticky. A lot of good information. Thaks Cmason.

I just was eager to see the airlock going. Its Been so long. It comforting to see it BuBBing. I thought I smelled the fermentation going on when I walked in the room But I have had a stroke that effects my smell when I actually have any. I cant rely on that anymore.

Maybe the seal on the primary is just not as good as it used to be. If it has an O ring, it probably lost some mojo in storage. If no O ring, then I wouldn’t expect a tight seal anyway.

TESS!! Welcome back, girl! You went from a regular poster to just dropping off the face of the Earth. I was worried about you! Glad you are back. :hug

That's what it feels like. I just dropped off the face of the earth. That's what being a new grandparent does to ya I guess. He's my world and Im utterly consumed. I feel like I need to refresh so I just been hanging around reading up:ib

That's what it feels like. I just dropped off the face of the earth. That's what being a new grandparent does to ya I guess. He's my world and Im utterly consumed. I feel like I need to refresh so I just been hanging around reading up:ib

We call them grand for a reason!

Well I figured out why I was not getting the bubbling in the airlock. I had shoved it through so far it reached the top foam of my wine and got clogged. I switched to a new clean one. It's finished I think at 010.0 but I let it go for a few more days to make sure. I tossed all my old Chemicals and ordered all new. Glad to be back. My grown kids want me to teach them the art so I have to get back in there. My now 4-year-old grandson wants to help me rack it into the carboy in a few days. I had to clean a lot of dust off of my things. lol Im glad I never sold any of it

Last edited:
I know its controversial but my first rack from the bucket to carboy I always do a splash wrack to get rid of some of the CO2. I have never had it backfire on me. There is so much gas coming off it its worked just fine here

I plan on getting my AIO. I dont think you need to worry about the gas after you have that though. I was still degassing using my DeWalt lol

Back