Darn Bugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjbryner

Reaction score
Well this is a first for me in a very long time!!...... I dumped a batch of wine. :po and :( Some how a sting bug found it's way in to a primary.

Anyone ever have this happen?

That is why you dumped it? What kind of wine was it? Fortunately those bugs haven't made it up north here yet. Not knowing anything about these little critters do you really feel it contaminated the entire batch?

It takes a certain amount of those bugs per gallon to contaminate the wine. I doubt one would ruin it. I would have finished the wine and checked it for off-tastes and smells. Don't dump so quickly.

From what I have read and heard from eye witnesses, you would be surprised what goes into some commercial wines, particularly from the wineries that use the mechanical harvesting. A stink bug would just be a trace amont of protein.

3 gallons of Blueberry.
I talked to the local winery and he said that one of them can ruin a batch of wine. I'd rather be safe then sorry.

He even said about ladybugs can do the same thing.

magic word is CAN he didn't say would there's always the chance it would've been fine always wait till you know it is ruined instead of that it may be ruined. If it was still in primary what loss would you have had other than time to let it keep going and see if it was going to be ok??sad

My guess is that you dumped a perfectly good batch of wine. I agree with Sirs. Sorry for your loss. :s

I think everyone should tip a glass of wine in mourning for a perfectly good batch of wine lost

Most of the evidence about contamination is anecdotal at this point. Various places are starting blind tastings of stink bug contaminated wine. So far most results point to the fact that it cannot be detected in finished wine when contamination occured at the beginning.

Well Sg was 1.010, As soon as I got the towel of the top I could smell the stink. I talked it over with the boss (W.I.F.E) and we decided to dump it.

Had It been early in fermentation I would have tried to save it. Also I was in the hospital all day Monday, and Tuesday was not a productive day for me, So I can't say he was in there only a few hours. Heck it was some where after Sunday night and Wednesday morning.

Trust me I sat there and thought about this for a couple hours and keep smelling the wine hoping it smell better, Even tried to rack it to another tank and still could smell it. (at least my mind did)

Hey man contaminated in your mind is contaminated in real life as far as I am concerned. You are making this stuff for you to enjoy right? Can you do that knowing that little stinkin bugger had been there?
Down here in Md they are all over the place. None in my wine yet.

I have heard (but do not know as fact) that stink bug issue a form of mercaptan compounds. This is the "Stink" in "Stink Bugs". I have heard that you can treat it in the same usual way that winemakers treat mercaptans (with coppersulfate). Try adding 3 ppm to remove stink.

johnT.

I have heard (but do not know as fact) that stink bug issue a form of mercaptan compounds. This is the "Stink" in "Stink Bugs". I have heard that you can treat it in the same usual way that winemakers treat mercaptans (with coppersulfate). Try adding 3 ppm to remove stink.

johnT.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
some species the liquid contains cyanide compounds with a rancid almond scent

It was only a 3 gal batch that I was going to try and freeze then do a slow melt and try to remove as much water as I could. Just a "Test" Batch so in the long run not a complete lost. Glad it wasn't one of the big batches!!!

Well Sg was 1.010, As soon as I got the towel of the top I could smell the stink. I talked it over with the boss (W.I.F.E) and we decided to dump it.

You did the right thing.

two years later "Hey babe, you want a glass of that Stink Bug wine?"

Those of you that have never smelled a stink bug, don't understand how terrible it is. I can taste them on the raspberries occasionally too... they are miserable creatures... stomping on them releases an amazing stink! I might have kept it around a while longer to see if the smell went away, but depending on the smell, I might have gotten it out of the house as soon as possible!!

Debbie

In New Jersey, we are up to our ears in these filthy little buggers. They are all over and there in no avoiding them. More than once, one of these b'stards landed on my face as I was sleeping. As a reflex, I smacked th bug, releasing that wonder perfume that we all love so much. So much for sleeping after that.

I hear that they came into this country via some packing material from China. THANKS GUYS! Perhaps we could send some wild feral hogs your way!

There does not seem to be a whole lot of research on these vermine. All I know is that they seem to be attracted to fruit, much like fruit flies. We winemakers would not have anything like that laying about. LOL.

I spoke to a exterminator friend of mine. He told me that there is a treatment for these bugs, but is not even close to being 100% effective. Myself, I just simply use a dustbuster.

I was

black berries were covered with them this year, and had to shake the tomatoe vines to find the ripe tomatoes and the buggers ate holes in a lot of them. the only thing that they seemed to leave alone was the peppers. so next year i am going to spray with pepper sauce.and seven dust early and see if i can headem off. before the fruit ripens.

jim

If a stink bug is just floating around not scared it wont stink up the wine, if it gets scared and fires off its going to stink like concentrated cilantro, but it does go away. We have the dammed things here, fish them out of the elderberries with a cold water wash - gently, and flick them off blackberries and just about everything else. I would have waited to see if the stick stayed, but then again mentally you might have smelled it anyway every time you opened up a bottle. Count yourself VERY lucky if you dont have these stinkers.

Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back