Dark honey?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozinsusan

Reaction score
I want to make a spiced apple cyser. I have juiced some organic apples, and found a source for organic honey (friends of friends are beekeepers).

However, some of the honey I got is darker than normal(almost, but not quite the color of molasses). Will this affect the color of the cyser?

What kind of honey is it and does it taste like? It may affect it a little but not very much. I used a dark wildflower honey in my strawberry banana mel and the same in my banana clove mel and both are a really nice color, about like a lighter version of the fruits color.
VC

I don't know what kind of honey it is - thinking clover probably? That seems to be most common in this area. Could be with wildflowers too - not sure where the bees are kept.

I guess that since apples have some tendencies to turn brown (but have not - Isoaked them inlemon juice and water prior to juicing), and I don't want brown wine......just wondering if this honey will make that more possible.....

None the meads & cysers I've made with dark, med, or light colored honey have finished brown because of the honey. Fresh honey & apples is going to make a very nice drink. I am looking forward to your progress.
VC

Thanks, vcasey. That answers my question.

I am interested in tasting it too - and thinking of adding some ginger and cinnamon to the mix......

Thinking the long weekend will have me starting that and a Reisling kit.....

I wonder if the honey is buckwheat? If so, that will have more of an earthy flavor. There is a lot of information about honey at: www.ebeehoney.com

Very cool that you have a connection with beekeepers.

(btw dark honey is said to have more antioxidants than lighter honey, so that would be good for cold/flu season)

Well, then, I guess I should drinkLOTS of this wine to avoid H1N1, right?
smiley36.gif

Thanks brewgrrrl and vcasey - for all the info! I am getting excited to start.....

The darker honey seems to have no effect on the must. It is a lovely golden, peachy color. I am sure it will clear out to a beautiful color.

And I was so worried.......

smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back