DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I have a kit ready to bottle. It's a light red color.
It's so clear, when you shine the flashlight into it, you can only see the beam of light on the other sude of the carboy. There are no particles big enough to reflect light inside the wine.

Ok...... Sorry, I'm still very much a newbie!
I've shined a light through the carboy in a dark room. And I see a perfect beam of light through the top half. On the bottom half, the light scatters.
I was thinking that meant the top half was clear, and the bottom not clear.
Is that correct?
Or, of the top was really clear, would I see absolutely no light in there?

Sorry for all the questions..... Just trying to clarify the clarifying process! hehe
Thanks!!!

I've shined a light through ...

I am new also, but the few batches I have made it took about 3 weeks to mistly settle then reracked to remove dregs ans repeated every three weeks 3x before I got a really clear product. I was using fruit, not a kit.

So im thinking there may be something wrong with my latest batch of DB. I was nice and clear today and i went to back sweeten it and as soon as i started to stir in the sugar I started to cough uncontrollably for almost a minute. Once that fit was over i smelled the wine and it had a strong smell that I cant identify. I gave it a good stir and racked it back into the carboy to clear again. Anyone know what could have happened?

Sulfite? Sulfite smell will make you cough. Did you add the sorbate before sweetening? How does it smell now?

Last edited:
Bottled 25 bottles of Blue/Rasp yesterday.
Held back 1/2 gallon and added a few hungarian oak cubes to see how that fares!

Overall it is a very light drink, mostly because there was 1 lb of fruit per 1 gallon of water.
I ended up using 4 cups of sugar for 5.5 gallon of wine.

The lemon still seems to be very upfront followed by blueberry.

I am sure on a super hot day, when it is super cold, it will not make any difference.

Now on to some skeeter pee!

I've shined a light through ...

I am new also, but the few batches I have made it took about 3 weeks to mistly settle then reracked to remove dregs ans repeated every three weeks 3x before I got a really clear product. I was using fruit, not a kit.

I am using fruit also. Might just be time to try another racking....

Sulfite? Sulfite smell will make you cough. Did you add the sorbate before sweetening? How does it smell now?

It doesn't have a sulfur smell. I'd say its chemical but can't pick out the smell. I did add the sorbate about a week before back sweetening. I'll give it a smell as soon as I can and update.

Back from my mini-vacation and trying to catch up on hundreds of unread posts. Sheesh, our little forum ain't so little anymore!

If I missed any questions that need to be fielded, please let me know.

It's good to be home! :D

An acid smell is the best way I can describe it. The color is really light red.

1400528299713.jpg

That is very light in color. Mine is always a ruby red. The acidic smell might not be unusual, given that you have not sweetened it yet. Is it clear yet? It's hard to tell in the picture.

It is back sweetened did it last night once it was clear. That's when I noticed something was off

"Smells like acid" and "tastes pretty nasty". Not good. I'm affraid I can't be of much help there. I have been very lucky in that I have had very few problems to solve in my short three year wine making career. I know you have made DB before, so something must have been different this time. Do you thnk there could be a sanitation issue, or a different water supply, outdated chemicals?

I wish I could give you some advice on how to fix this...:?

Are you smelling anything that smells like a burnt match or nail polish remover?

I did use a new water supply. Got the water out of a dispenser at my store. Also used store brand triple berry blend. What's odd is everything was normal till it went into the carboy.

It just occurred to me that I also used the same water supply for a Wine Kit that went way south. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to dump the DB I'll restart it with my normal water supply and pray.

Something is definately wrong with it. Even the color is off. If it smells and tastes like you said, you probably shouldn't drink it.

All you can do is test the theory about the water supply. Get some more fruit and do what worked before. Then you'll know for sure.

Back